Is it possible to Log or "Copy" HDD Smart Status

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Is it possible to Log or "Copy" HDD Smart Status

Postby Jake442 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:08 pm

HI,

I have a DS-210j with one new HDD and one olded HDD (both WD6400AAKS). I would like to monitor the SMART information for a period to see if / what changes, and for a baseline for future problem solving.
I cannot find a way to LOG or even copy the screen data (short of a screen capture). Does anyone know a way to log the SMART data short of pencil and paper?

Thanks

Jake
Jake442
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Is it possible to Log or "Copy" HDD Smart Status

Postby Koesper » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:36 pm

*bump*

Would be interested in that too, to get a better feel what 'normal' values would be.
Koesper
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Is it possible to Log or "Copy" HDD Smart Status

Postby itari » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:48 am

Do you know, how to work on command-line? If yes, use the tool 'smartctl' to collect the SMART-information into a logfile.

Itari
itari
Sharp
Sharp

Return to System Management