DS212J BackUp

The general discussion room of 2012 Synology DiskStations.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

DS212J BackUp

Postby davidjames1701 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:44 am

After a bad experience with a WD MyBookLive, ive been looking at a DS212J, just need it for backing up my W7 Toshiba laptop, and use with iPhone's, to access photos, music etc,
What is the Synology Backup Software like to use ?
What options do you get, can you backup from a file to a folder, drive etc?
Can it work incrementally in the background as i work ?
What can you do with the iphone apps ?
I have a Cisco E4200 v1 router, its on the approved list, anyone use this setup ? does it work well ?
And what data transfer speeds do you get over WiFi, with the E4200 or another router ?

I would be interested to read your experiences please

Cheers :)
davidjames1701
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DS212J BackUp

Postby Dad Man Walking » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:20 am

Here's my two cents on this subject...

A Synology NAS is a fine backup target, you won't regret the purchase. But you will regret not buying more when you had the chance, so pop for either more drives, or a faster processor, or both, if you can make that fit into your budget.

About the backup software...for me, backups (both data backups and full drive images) are such an important insurance policy that it's not worth "going cheap" and using the software included with Synology or any other NAS appliance. Download a copy of Acronis True Image Home 2012 (this will cost you $50) and you'll have industrial-strength, worry free backups and images that just plain work. It's a major stress-reducer for me...if something breaks or goes wrong on any of the PC's I'm supporting (wife and 4 kids...things break...) I just restore a clean recent image, restore the data from the backup, and plow ahead. It takes less time to do that than it does to figure out what the hell broke on their PC. I don't have to worry about getting things working again.

In the IT world, a backup plan is worthless unless you have tested it. I know a lot of people who use the MSFT backup utility, but have never actually had to test whether it works when they need it. With Acronis, I am 100% certain that when I need it, it will be there--full drive images that I refresh periodically, and data backups that run automatically every night. I have tested it, under fire, out countless occasions. No worries...

(And I have no affiliation with Acronis, just a satisfied customer...)
Dad Man Walking
Novice
Novice

Return to 2012 Synology DiskStation Hardware Discussion