Reliability of update to 3.2?

An update to DSM3.2-1944 that provides performance improvements,
enhanced VMware ESXi compatibility, improved Surveillance Station timeline playback,
and improved Photo Station Blog functionality.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Reliability of update to 3.2?

Postby -BA- » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi all. I am considering updating my DS410 to 3.2. Currently it is running 3.0-1354 and I have absolutely no problems at all. I have 4 x Samsung HD203WI in RAID 5 (With data protection)and really don't want to lose the array of any of the data if I update.

Usually I don't do an update if everything is going stable but there are a couple of things I would like from 3.2 that 3.0 can't give me; one of which is support for FOSCAMs in Surveillance station.

So really my main questions are:

1. Can I expect major problems updating to the newest f/w?
2. Which of the 3.2 builds is the most stable?
3. Will I lose any data? Could I lose any data?
4. If I do an update, does it remember all the old settings or do I need to go back in and set up permissions, programmes, etc all over again?
5. Last but not least, is there an idiot's guide to the update procedure?

Thanks all

BA
-BA-
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Reliability of update to 3.2?

Postby mike42dk » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:20 pm

-BA- wrote:Hi all. I am considering updating my DS410 to 3.2. Currently it is running 3.0-1354 and I have absolutely no problems at all. I have 4 x Samsung HD203WI in RAID 5 (With data protection)and really don't want to lose the array of any of the data if I update.

Usually I don't do an update if everything is going stable but there are a couple of things I would like from 3.2 that 3.0 can't give me; one of which is support for FOSCAMs in Surveillance station.

So really my main questions are:

ALWAYS ALWAYS BACKUP data before doing anything to your DS !!!!
1. Can I expect major problems updating to the newest f/w?

No, I have done it every time a new DSM came out including Beta, never had any data loss, just minor issuers with Beta DSM but that is expected.
2. Which of the 3.2 builds is the most stable?

Latest DSM version. DSM 3.2 1955
3. Will I lose any data? Could I lose any data?

There is always the risk of something goes wrong, that's always like that when working with devices :-)
4. If I do an update, does it remember all the old settings or do I need to go back in and set up permissions, programmes, etc all over again?

It's always a good idea to backup configuration, especially when you do a jump from 3.0 to 3.2, I always do configuration backup before upgrading.
5. Last but not least, is there an idiot's guide to the update procedure?

Thanks all

BA

http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?lang=enu&q_id=214
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS-412+
2 WD red 2 TB harddrive RAID 1
1 Seagate 2 TB harddrive Basic
mike42dk
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Return to DiskStation Manager 3.2 - 1955