First copy stops

An update to DSM3.2-1944 that provides performance improvements,
enhanced VMware ESXi compatibility, improved Surveillance Station timeline playback,
and improved Photo Station Blog functionality.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Re: First copy stops

Postby cutter74 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 am

...which brings us to another question. If the new DSM version does NOT resolve the problem, where does that leave all of us who have already installed the provided hotfix? Do we proceed with the installation of the new DSM or not?
cutter74
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bas75 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:20 pm

I contacted synology about this update. The answer was:

We are still tuning this patch and it is not included in 1955.
Please don't upgrade your system if you have such issue.

Sorry for this inconvenience.
bas75
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby cutter74 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, bas75.
cutter74
Rookie
Rookie

Postby alsoft » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks for the info bas75
alsoft
Trainee
Trainee

Postby elohite » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 pm

bas75 wrote:I contacted synology about this update. The answer was:

We are still tuning this patch and it is not included in 1955.
Please don't upgrade your system if you have such issue.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

why am I not surprised?
elohite
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Initial write problematic after a fresh reboot

Postby cdsys » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:46 pm

I have a similar problem. I have a DS1511+ with DSM 3.2. 5 disks with Synology Hybrid RAID (with data protection of 1 disk). Recently I use the power schedule to turn my NAS on and off for 6 hours every night. Now every first copy operation I try from my windows system results in a failure saying the NAS is disconnected (file of over a gig). After cancelling the next copy operation succeeds.

Some more info:
My PC:
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with Service Pack 1
- Accessing NAS using a mapped network drive.
NAS:
- Windows File Service: Only "Enable Windows file service" is checked.
- NFS Service enabled
- No errors in the logs
cdsys
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby cutter74 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:08 pm

Sounds pretty much like the problem we're all facing. Log a case with Synology support and direct them to this thread. The patch is ready; they should provide you the fix immediately...
cutter74
Rookie
Rookie

Postby cdsys » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Will do cutter74. Thx to the moderator for redirecting my post to the correct thread :D .
cdsys
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby cutter74 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Well, the problem reappeared out of the blue today! I have not upgraded to the latest DSM and have not changed a single setting on the NAS. I've notified the Synology engineer once again. This is getting ridiculous!
cutter74
Rookie
Rookie

Postby cutter74 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Just to keep everyone at ease, I’d like to inform you that the timeout issue I reported in my previous post was attributed to a different issue after all. This time, the issue was caused by a data consistency check on the volume. Although this is a background operation and still shouldn’t affect the status of the copy, I can definitely live with that. So no worries there, guys; the patch seems to have fixed the issue for good...

Anybody else with different experiences or information on when the fix will be included in a DSM release, please let us know.
cutter74
Rookie
Rookie

Postby moymike » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:34 pm

danielp wrote:Hello moymike,

I have sought out your ticket and provided the North American Support Engineer in charge of your case with the patch information.
We apologize for any delays.

Today is Dec 5th, and I have yet to hear anything back about my ticket. I wish Synology would post some information about the issue I (we) have.

I am running 5 Hitachi 3TB drives. Is this problem an incompatibility issue with the drive? I formatted using the Synology hybrid raid, is the problem related to that? I started with 3 drives and expanded to 5, is this why I am experiencing the problem?

Why is it that EVERY Synology use is not screaming about this? Is it related to a small number of the units, and based on chip?

Oh, and something else interesting... If I boot the Synology (1511+) and using the web interface only, copy a large file that is on the NAS to another folder on the NAS, it will copy a small section of the file, then LOCK up for about 3-4 minutes.... then it completes the copy. After this, I can copy the files without issue. The first copy will take about 5 minutes, and if I copy the same file after this again, it takes just over a minute.

It's this delay or freeze that causes the disconnect when I am coping from a network machine to the NAS.

>> Disappointed user...
moymike
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby slam6 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:23 am

I asked for the hot fix and received a link to download it

DSM_DS1511+_1944.special.pat

I went to install the .pat though it is to old as I am already running the DSM 3.2-1944

So I'm still playing the waiting game as well.
slam6
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby cutter74 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:37 am

moymike wrote:
I am running 5 Hitachi 3TB drives. Is this problem an incompatibility issue with the drive? I formatted using the Synology hybrid raid, is the problem related to that? I started with 3 drives and expanded to 5, is this why I am experiencing the problem?

It's definitely NOT the drives. As you'll see in this thread, the same issue has been reported by a number of users with different disk sizes and manufacturers. I was experiencing the issue with WD 3TB, WD 2TB and Seagate 2 TB disks.

moymike wrote:Why is it that EVERY Synology use is not screaming about this? Is it related to a small number of the units, and based on chip?

I think that, being primarily targeted as SOHO or Enterprise NAS units, the majority of these NAS boxes are not being shut down ever! So, the problem occurs only once or twice at boot time and then the storage admin or NAS user tries it again once or twice, the copy goes through, never reoccurs and the whole incident is forgotten.

One additional factor could very well be the fact that the issue seems to have been introduced with the 1944 DSM. You'd be surprised at how many business users don't routinely upgrade their F/W (can't say that I blame them!), so those are not affected as well.

Finally there are those who chose just to live with it, those who never visit the forums, those who just log official support cases with Synology, etc.

Keep asking for the fix, or the inclusion of the fix in a cumulative DSM release. If enough of us shout, they may release it sooner rather than later!
cutter74
Rookie
Rookie

Postby alsoft » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:02 pm

cutter74 the issue is not introduced with the 1944 DSM, I contacted Synology support on 31-3-2011 for this problem and then i had DSM 3.1 -1605 on the DS1511+ with five Samsung HD205UI drives in it, so it is definitely not introduced with DSM 1944
alsoft
Trainee
Trainee

Postby sh4d0wt3ch » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:37 am

Its been a while since my post about this problem. After my initial test and post, I never did encounter the problem as I disabled the scheduled shutdown and startup therefore never did shutdown the box from then on. I was hoping the patch would resolve the problem.

Initially I was thinking this could be the same problem QNAP is experiencing with file transfer which has been going on for quite some time now which points to the kernel OS. I hope they integrate this patch to the new firmware soon.
Synology DS2411+
QNAP TS412
sh4d0wt3ch
I'm New!
I'm New!

PreviousNext

Return to DiskStation Manager 3.2 - 1955