Brother HL-2040, iOS, AirPrint, Driver

Got questions on using your printer with our server? Post it here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Brother HL-2040, iOS, AirPrint, Driver

Postby mrtechman » Sun May 27, 2012 12:52 am

I Have a brother HL-2040 connected to the DS via usb. I have apple bonjour turned on. The iPad sees the printer, but nothing prints.

The 2040 is listed as compatible (as is the 2140), yet neither driver is in the list on the DS. I canot print a test page from the DS.

However, I can print, with success, from my Win 7 computers.

I think, it is a matter of not having the right driver available through the DS. Is there a way to obtain and load additional drivers? This printer will not react from my Win 7 machines if the wrong Brother driver is selected. I'm guessing this could be my problem.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.
mrtechman
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Brother HL-2040, iOS, AirPrint, Driver

Postby mrtechman » Sun May 27, 2012 2:42 am

Ok. So I did a bit more testing. The printer status switches to red "printing" for a period before going back to green "available" when I try to print. When I use some drivers, but not others, the status led on the printer flashes, like it would when receiving data to print.

It tends to blink for about a minute... Far longer than a typical print job. Then nothing. It just stops and never prints anything. It really seems to be a driver issue that I can't figure out.

I've tried both mode map and print only. Both seem to offer similar results... Although with different drivers selected, map may cause the led to flash and print only not... Or vice-versa.

Thanks again for helping.
mrtechman
Trainee
Trainee

Postby chillisauce » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:13 am

For what it's worth I get exactly the same problem with an HL-2030. Works perfectly from an iMac or MacBook Pro, but when you use the iPad, it claims to have printed but nothing comes out. Very frustrating.

Seems like nobody has any ideas though...
chillisauce
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby renard » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Did you get this issue resolved?

I recently tried to get AirPrint to work with a Brother HL2270DW printer. It did not work, and the symptom is pretty much identical to yours.
renard
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby henriwagner » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:50 am

I've same problem printing from iPad.
My printer is Samsung ML-2010 (not listed, I tried different ML-xxxx drivers).

I tried also google cloud printing.

What happens:
DSM4.1-2647 states: Available -> Printing -> Available
Printer's led starts to flash and then stops. Nothing is printed out.

What drivers synology uses? cups? gutenprint? ...?
henriwagner
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby meme » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Just to add another voice that the Brother HL-2040 is not working correctly with DSM 4.1-2647. :( In my case its with a DS1512+ .

Same symptoms as other posters:
* iOS sees there is an airprint printer available (usbprinter1)
* when printing using airprint nothing happens; no lights change on printer, nothing
* using lpstat on the command line and I can't see any jobs being submitted to the queues
* printing from Windows client works
meme
Beginner
Beginner

Postby GibStorm » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:53 am

I have the exact same problems, just with a Brother HL-1430 printer.

Printing from Windows works just fine. Printer test page is never printed, stuff from AirPrint never prints either.
GibStorm
Trainee
Trainee

Postby ajamali1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:14 am

I'm in the same shoe as all of you.

I own DS413J and a Brother HL-2040. After connecting it, I see it connected and DSM recognizes it, after configuring it and setting it up in my MBA as 'usbprinter1' and when I send print jobs nothing happens. Very frustrating when a simple driver could fix this.
ajamali1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby iviax » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:31 pm

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... 5&type2=-1

This helps to run the printer from a mac via network. but the airprint is not supported (airprint works via guteprint driver included in the synology) that one doesnt work good with this printer.
also bother has no airprint support ...
do some reading on implementing printer drivers into the sinology. mayby something will work
iviax
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby chillisauce » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:59 pm

So, almost a year has gone by since this thread was started. I updated to DSM 4.2 yesterday in the hope that they might have fixed this at last. But no, still no airprint from any Ios device to my Brother HL-2030. As always, it claims to have printed, but nothing comes out. Works fine from my MacBook and iMac. This is REALLY annoying.
chillisauce
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Printer Server