AirPrint [merged thread]

Got questions on using your printer with our server? Post it here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

AirPrint [merged thread]

Postby thunderbird » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:20 pm

I set up my Canon Pixma MP640 for AirPrint (enabled Network Printer, AirPrint and Bonjour Printer Broadcast), the driver I selected is the one for MP610, since 640 was not available (although the 640 is on the list of supported printers). The Firewall was disabled for these tests.
The iPhone (iOS 4.2.1) listed the printer as usbprinter1 and I was able to send a print job to the DsikStation, but the printer didn't print out anything at all...
P.S: I can print fine from the iPhone via a Mac with AirPrint enabled, but it would be a big advantage if I wouldn't need to turn on the Mac and could just use the DS which is running anyway.

Any ideas what might be wrong?
thunderbird
Sharp
Sharp

Airprint Slow

Postby mikec20 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:29 am

I have have plugged a printer into my DS1010+ via USB to enable Airprint. Printing from my iPad is working ok, but it takes about 1 minute per page. What are other peoples experiences here? How fast are your print jobs printing using Airprint? The printer is usually super fast when plugged into my laptop's USB.

The only thing I can think of is driver incompatibility. I am using a Xerox Phaser 3160n which doesn't have a specific driver in DSM. Instead I have tried using a few different drivers (Xerox Phaser 2135, HP Laserjet 4, Generic PCL5) which all seem to print correctly but also suffer from slowness.
DS1010+ FW Version: DSM 4.1-2636
mikec20
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: AirPrint not working

Postby Glyn » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm afraid I can't offer a solution, but I'm jumping on the same topic as I have the same issue:
I have a Canon PIXMA ip5200R, using the ip5200 driver in the airprint list just results in the "data receive" light flashing briefly and then nothing.

I can print from the mac but I have to change it from the default printer driver to the glutenprint ip5200 driver. If I don't change this from the default, then the light also flashes and nothing happens, so I would assume that it's a similar driver problem for Airprint.

I guess it's unreasonable to expect Synology to support every printer ever made, but it seams a bit of a shame given it appears that the printer appears to be supported from the drop down list - I don't think that their is a specific driver for the ip5200r over the ip5200 (I understand that the r just indicated it had wireless built in).

I've tried a variety of drivers from Canon without success. If anyone has this printer and has had success, I'd be grateful if you could tell me how.

Thanks
Glyn.
Glyn
Novice
Novice

Re: Airprint Slow

Postby synouser1138 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Yes, it is very (read: painfully) slow (if it works at all). My printer Kyocera Mita FS-1010 is supported but at this speed not usable at all.
I hope you'll be able to speed this up.
synouser1138
Beginner
Beginner

Re: AirPrint not working

Postby codeblue2k » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:56 am

I am also having this exact same issue with the MP640. Just as Thunderbird said, the MP640 is listed as a supported printer but its not listed in DSM. I can see the printer from my iPhone and iPad, but nothing happens when I send a print job. Synology please help us resolve this issue.
codeblue2k
Beginner
Beginner

Airprint and HPC6280

Postby lvthoog » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 am

Hi,

I just updated the firmware of my DS410 to 3.1. I wanted to use the airprint functionality but my HP Photosmart C6280 is not supported.

The DS does support the HP Photosmart C6280 for USB printing but it is not available in the AirPrint list.
Will my printer be supported soon? Or can I use another printerdriver which works with my printer? (noluck sofar)..
lvthoog
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: AirPrint [merged thread]

Postby Danmarc » Thu May 12, 2011 5:57 pm

I have a Samsung ML-1660 attached to DS211j. It prints with no problems, both from PC and from a MacBook Air but it does not print from an iPhone 4.
The iPhone sees the usbprinter 1, the printer starts but then nothing happens. :(
Danmarc
Sharp
Sharp

Postby Skysurfer_14 » Sat May 21, 2011 2:49 pm

I have exact the same problem with my MP640. Will there be a solution?
Best regards,
Skysurfer_14
Skysurfer_14
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby maten » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi, I have Samsung SCX 3200 series - any chance it will be supported with Air print? (or some compatible driver advise from supported models? :) ).

thanks
-Martin-
maten
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bolish » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Dear All,

I have a Pixma MG6150. Well connected to DS211 and printing works from a Windows PC.

Concerning Airprint :
I tried to set it up with a Canon Pixma MP driver (cause MG driver not available on DSM), iPhone and iPad see the usbprinter1, reach to send information, but printer didn't print.

So, same problem as for you guys.

But I went on gutenprint website, and I saw that those driver (as many others ones) were included into the last package available on gutenprint.

So I guess, if we update DSM with those last drivers, I should maybe work.

My problem is that I'm not an expert into DSM and so on, maybe someone knows if it is possible? Or if it is scheduled by Synology to update it?

Did someone already wrote to Synology support? I wish to do it but there are asking for ID N° of the DS211 and I'm currently not at home....

Hope we could soon have an answer and enjoy this functionnality (which could be very interresting to use from the DSPhoto + app!)

Bye
bolish
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby klit » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Same problem here with the MP640. I also selected the 610 as the model because the MP640 is not there.
klit
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mdebraaf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:52 am

I'm also having issues with printing through airprint.

I have Synology DS211j, Canon MP610 installed as Network printer (network printing works OK) - enabled Airprint, selected the Canon/MP510 printer, activated Bonjour.

The iPhone and iPad do recognize the 'Usbprinter1' as Canon MP610, then sends stuff to the printer, but nothing happens :? Big bummer !

Any other folks having (positive) experience with Airprinting with the Canon MP610 ?

Cheers
mdebraaf
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Sabar » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:07 am

Airprint Slow, Very Slow
One Page with only text....2min
I've a Canon Pixma 4200. Synology have the driver for my print but when i "send" a print with an iphone's app this is the situation: 1 page 2 minute. And if i've a image is impossible to print

probabily Airplay is not very supperted from synology
Sabar
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rde » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:13 pm

I have an epson dx9400f and can also see the printer listed on my ipad but it won't print. My printer is listed as supported. If it does not work (or not well) with so many users Synology should not list it as a feature.
rde
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ilikesushi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:04 am

Joining this thread late ... it seems that AirPrint can only work with a Synology NAS if the printer supports AirPrint (currently a very short list) and is connected to the NAS via USB (http://www.synology.com/us/products/features/airprint.php.

It would be great if there was a package / something that could run persistently on the Synology NAS that could work like FingerPrint from Collobos software (http://www.collobos.com/). This program turns ANY printer connected to the PC into an AirPrint-capable printer that shows up on an iDevice, but it requires that the PC the software runs on be left running. Seems like this type of app would be best suited to a NAS which is typically left on 24x7. I've tried to search for something similar that could run on a Synology NAS, but haven't found anything. Does anyone know if such a package exists?

Thanks!
ilikesushi
Trainee
Trainee

Next

Return to Printer Server