disaster recovery: Synology DS1511+ hardware failure

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, Amazon S3, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

disaster recovery: Synology DS1511+ hardware failure

Postby netlancers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Hello,
first of all, this is hypothetical situation, which didn't happen to me (not yet). But. How is the correct procedure of chassis DS1511+ replacement, when it fails completely (motherboard failed, or power supply failed)?
I think all stuff (config, DSM) is copied on the disks. So it should suffice to get harddrives and put them right to the new (exactly same) synology box and just let it boot. Am I right? I need to be prepared for this scenario (I am planning to have spare DS1511+ chassis).

I tried to find some docs, but found only howtos describing replacement of failed disks.

Thanks for any reply
netlancers
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: disaster recovery: Synology DS1511+ hardware failure

Postby Trolli » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Disk Station 1511+ - DSM 4.0 Beta - 2166
3x3TB Western Digital WD30EZRX, Raid 5

Disk Station 508 - DSM 3.2 - 1922
5x1TB Western Digital WD10EADS, Raid5

Moderator @ German Synology Forum
Trolli
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby netlancers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:00 pm

That looks very promissing, thanks for the link. I overlooked it in the FAQ.
netlancers
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Trolli » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:46 am

Your procedure will work as well. You can put the harddisks into another DiskStation of the same type and continue to work. A little part of the DiskStation firmware is wirtten to the flash memory of your DS, so you have to prepare the second DS by installing the same firmware to the second DS with another temporary harddisk. After this, you can put the HDs from the other unit to your backup-DS and continue to work. Be careful to put the disks in the same position as in the original DS.

I think the Synology procedure is better anyway, because it also covers HD failure...
Disk Station 1511+ - DSM 4.0 Beta - 2166
3x3TB Western Digital WD30EZRX, Raid 5

Disk Station 508 - DSM 3.2 - 1922
5x1TB Western Digital WD10EADS, Raid5

Moderator @ German Synology Forum
Trolli
Enlightened
Enlightened

Return to Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups