video conversion

Questions about the Synology Photo Station can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

video conversion

Postby wakebrdr549 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:08 pm

I understand that videos are converted to h.264 format for streaming on the photo station website, and Photo station. Is that true, or are the videos in .flv format? Does anyone no where these converted files are stored or how I can access them.? I would like to email some of the videos as well eliminate the original file, since the file size of the converted video is so much more manageable. The quality of the converted files that stream on photo station are fine and I see no need in keeping a 100 MB .avi file when I have a great compressed copy with a file size less then 10 MB. I have been able to download files somewhat inconsistently using the download helper plugin in firefox, but it is not very user friendly. It seems to download the same video again if you change from one video to another in the same session. So I have to close and reopen the browser for each download. It saves them in .mp4 format. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that what h.264 is? I would also like access to the thumbnails created by Photo station for the photos and video stills. Does anyone know where they are located or how to access them?

thanks in advance for any help!!
wakebrdr549
Rookie
Rookie

Re: video conversion

Postby hannaman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:52 pm

It looks to me like video files are converted into .flv format for photo station. I have noticed .flv files being created alongside the thumbnails when the videos are transcoded via ffmpeg. The .flv and thumbnails are stored under the @eaDir directory. If you have the photo share mounted to your computer you should just be able to browse to the directory where your videos and photos are stored and look into @eaDir/{video_or_photo_name}/ otherwise you will most likely have to ssh into the nas to see the @eaDir directories. Under there you will find files that start with "SYNOPHOTO:THUMB". These are the thumbnails (5 different sizes). The file "SYNOPHOTO:FILM.flv" should be the converted video file that you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
hannaman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby wakebrdr549 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:20 am

thanks hannaman! I was able to get to the folder @eaDir which was then filled with a directory for each item in the parent folder, but each of these folders were empty. I was not able to see the @eaDir directory until I typed it in. I was not able to browse to it normally. As if it was a hidden directory and the folder options were set to not show hidden folders. So I am assuming that the files within these folders are somehow hidden also. Any suggestion?
wakebrdr549
Rookie
Rookie

Postby hannaman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:50 am

I can't help much more. On my Linux workstation, where the shares are mounted via NFS, I can browse the thumbnail folders no problem. As you say, they might have some hidden attribute on Windows, but I can't say for sure. Can you allow hidden folders to be shown?
hannaman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Taxman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:51 pm

The NAS converts the video into H.263 in FLV and the Synology Assistant converts the video into H.264 in FLV. One way to grab the videos is to use Firerfox with the download helper or similar extensions, so you can save the Flash video file through the browser. Although I wonder what will happen if you delete the original it may delete the Flash copy as well, I would test before doing anything.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Postby wakebrdr549 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 pm

taxman, So forgive my ignorance, but
The NAS converts the video into H.263 in FLV and the Synology Assistant converts the video into H.264 in FLV
means that the codec is h.263 with an flv extension? Is that correct? and if so then h.264 codec in an flv extension. I use the synology assistant to upload my vids, so I assume that they are the h.264 format. I can see my vids on my iphone. Apples website says that the iphone supports h.264, but obviously iphones do not support flash. So even with a flash extension, my iphone can see that it is an h.264 file and play it? Does that all makes sense?

I have been using the download helper to get the mp4 or flash version of the vids, but its a bit time consuming. I dont understand why Synology hides these files from us. I have my hidden folders and files displayed, yet they still somehow hide these files. I was able to see the top level @eaDir directory when I explicitly type into the address bar, and then can see all of the file and folders contained within that directory, but every directory below @eaDir is empty. I assume there are files in them, but they are hidden somehow.
wakebrdr549
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Taxman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:33 am

Yes at least the last time I checked it, if you copy files direct to photo folder then the NAS converts using H.263 video as the CPU would be burdened with much longer convert times (which are pretty slow to begin with) if it converted to H.264. The PC on the other hand can convert into H.264 much more quickly than the NAS so thats what the Synology assistant does. Adobe has used a couple of different codecs in flv over the years however Synology's Photostation only uses those two as far as I know.

I dont know how to extract the flash video any other way, you could try getting into the NAS through SSH via WinSCP and maybe it could see the files.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Postby Betelgeuse 2112 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:32 am

Is it safe to delete these folders? I saw that the NAS was converting 500 videos or so and afraid these are taking up a lot of space.

Thanks.
Betelgeuse 2112
Trainee
Trainee

Return to Photo Station