DS1511+ ..Basic Questions From A Newb

The general discussion room of 2011 Synology DiskStations.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

DS1511+ ..Basic Questions From A Newb

Postby Detox » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:48 pm

I've been reading about the Synology DS1511+ and it sounds like a great machine, I do however have a few basic questions and I hope someone can help me out.

I am looking for a home use device that will store family photos, music (mp3s), movies and other backups such as word documents, pdfs etc.

I also want the machine to be able to back up a couple of personal computers on my home network (for example a couple of windows PC and/or a Mac if I ever get one).

Will I be able to access photos/music on various devices such as iPad/iPhone/PS3/Xbox360 etc.

Regarding how data is stored on the DS1511+, I don't fully understand RAID configuration, but is the basics that if I put 5 drives in the machine and one drive fails I can replace that single drive and not lose any data?

I was thinking of a WHS type machine, but this sounds a lot simpler, and reason to not choose this over a WHS type machine?

Many thanks,

Detox
Detox
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DS1511+ ..Basic Questions From A Newb

Postby deerpark » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:50 pm

Will I be able to access photos/music on various devices such as iPad/iPhone/PS3/Xbox360 etc.

Yes, Synology have apps available for Android/Iphone and PS3/Xbox360 can access media through the DLNA media server.

Regarding how data is stored on the DS1511+, I don't fully understand RAID configuration, but is the basics that if I put 5 drives in the machine and one drive fails I can replace that single drive and not lose any data?

Basically yes. RAID is short for 'Redundant Array of Independent Disks'. It allows you to create volumes that span multiple disk where the failure of one or more of the disks (depending on the RAID setup) won't lead to data loss. Be aware though that RAID does not equal backup. Plenty of things can happen to a NAS that RAID won't save you from.

I don't have experience with WHS, other than I've heard about it. There was a lot of problems with data loss when it was first released, not something you want from a storage server...
deerpark
Experienced
Experienced

Return to 2011 Synology DiskStation Hardware Discussion