ISO files

Questions regarding using our product with a UPnP Digital Media Adaptor may be placed here

ISO files

Postby rottfro » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:22 pm

I read where ISO files are "supported" for media what does that really mean? I have DVD/BD to backup to my new DS411. Great product. If streaming to PS3 or XBMC, what is the best format? I would like to keep the subtitles (if possible) and maybe Chapters. A lot of the discs are of concerts, having the choice of a specific song would be helpful. Maybe they just need to be ISO's and use a media server to stream them. I don't have a WD device like many but do have a Roku and Playon. Unless I missed some setting they might not help in this situation.
rottfro
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: ISO files

Postby Taxman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:43 pm

There are not for all intensive purposes. ISO does not work through UPnP/DLNA but there is one exception.

The only platform that works with ISO through Synology UPnP is XBMC, nothing else. And if you have XBMC you don't want to use UPnP/DLNA in the first place as it's designed for use with Samba/SMB (windows networking) and you will loose much functionality by using UPnP.

If you want to display BD menus from ISO images then you must get a HDI Dune media player (the Smart line is the cheapest with BD menu support), you access the NAS via SMB.

To play through the likes of the PS3 or Roku (which needs Plex media server) you would have to convert all your media into H.246/M4V videos using something like Handbrake.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Postby rottfro » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:23 pm

I have some learning to do with the NAS and as well as trying to define the best way of creating a video library. I don't want to just store the video's, I want them to be capable of being streamed as well. I need to re-tool my plans.

If the NAS is used for a Samba/SMB shares, then what format would you suggest?
I created a high quality m4v file and it streamed well, but I could not move around the video.

The Dune device is very cool, but not what I was planning on adding at this time. How did you happened to come across that device, just an AV expert?
rottfro
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Taxman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:02 pm

Long time interest in the area.

Your players define the format so if sticking with Roku/PS3 then H.264/M4V is your only option.

Other network media players like say the Boxee Box for instance can play media without conversion though it does not support Blu-ray menus, it features an automatic jukebox for scanning files names of media residing on the SMB shares of your NAS then downloading the info about the movie/tv show.

MakeMKV is a tool used to extract the movie lossless from a DVD/Blu-ray so same end result as your M4V just original video/audio in a .mkv container but for that you need players like Boxee Box, WDTV Live, HDI Dune and so on.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Return to Streaming Multimedia Server