Ghost Folder on DLNA players

Questions regarding using our product with a UPnP Digital Media Adaptor may be placed here

Ghost Folder on DLNA players

Postby darloal » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:05 am

Hi,

I have delete a folder on my DS. However in the Diskstation - Video folder on any DLNA player in the house the folder is still there. I've re-searched for media servers so the files on the DLNA players update the content they show, but the file won't disappear.

If I click in the folder in question it opens up the ALL the videos that were there.
When I click on one of the videos from a PS3 I get this message;
"The folder could not accessed. The content may have been deleted from the media server."

I know it has - as I deleted it! How do I get rid of this "ghost" folder so it doesn't show?

Thanks in advance.
darloal
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Ghost Folder on DLNA players

Postby td911 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Did you set a "symbolic link"?
If you did, you need to delete it. Just deleting the folder doesn't work.
td911
Trainee
Trainee

Postby kheops » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem (DS211j - TV Samsung), I have deleted and moved folder and files , but the files/folders are still appear on the samsung player.

When I click on one of the videos from my TV I get a message : "unable to read" or something like that :roll:

Do you have an idea ?

Thx

KheOps
kheops
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mkrus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi

I get the same since upgrading to the latest official version of dsm of my Ds211j
Anyone have a fix?

Mike
mkrus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sawboman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm getting the same problem on XBMC, WDTV Live and PS3. Old folders that I know I've deleted as when I go through DSM or Windows explorer on PC (W7)they do not appear. Has anybody had any experience with this and can you suggest any methods to remove these "ghost" folders/files

Thanks,
Dave
sawboman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rechnerzuhause » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Just had the same problem. I fixed it by moving the hole content of VIDEO to a new directory and backwards.
And WOW, the ghostfolders/files are gone :-)

Ciao RZ
rechnerzuhause
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby forcetalent » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:30 am

Good tip by the last poster.
This gave me an idea which significantly reduced the indexing time if you have a large video (or any media) folder.

1- I created a folder with the same exact name including case sens in a local folder on my PC.
2- Placed a small jpeg in their called "folder.jpg" (since folders use this filename for thumbnailing).
3- Copied it to the exact location on the Synology where the deleted Ghost folder shows up. I browse there with Windows Explorer using a UNC path.
4- Close Explorer and Re-Open and browse back to the UNC path.
5- Delete the folder and soon after the Ghost folder should be gone, if you haven't changed the media servers default refresh interval.
forcetalent
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby njitgrad » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:05 am

I've tried both methods suggested above but I still can't get the ghost files to disappear. I went as far as uninstalled Video Package, deleting the video folder, and re-installing (re-creating the video folder in the process) but the ghost files are still there. Frustrating! Need a solution that works for my DS214Play.
njitgrad
Beginner
Beginner

Postby njitgrad » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:04 pm

I was finally able to get rid of ghost folders (and files) but it's a real pain and a lot of manual labor depending on how many files/folders you relocated/deleted on your NAS.

The method below works for DSM 5.1 on my DS214Play.

The lesson here is to not move things around too much once you get your video files on your NAS.

To eliminate a ghost file open Notepad on your PC and (without even typing anything in the file) just save the file as missingmovie.mp4 onto the mapped video network drive (where "missingmovie.mp4" matches the movie title and extension exactly). After that, delete the file using DSM File Station. On your TV just re-navigate from the top level folder to where the ghost used to be. It may not disappear instantaneously so just re-navigate periodically until it's gone (could take a couple of minutes for some files).

To eliminate a ghost folder create a new folder using DSM File Station (with the same exact name as the ghost) in the exact location where the ghost is. Then just delete the folder using DSM File Station and it should disappear in a few seconds. On your TV just re-navigate from the top level folder to where the ghost used to be. It may not disappear instantaneously so just re-navigate periodically until it's gone (could take a couple of minutes for some folders).

Hope this helps.
njitgrad
Beginner
Beginner

Return to Streaming Multimedia Server