External backup fails

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

External backup fails

Postby gperrone71 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with the ext backup and I'm wondering if anyone can help before I submit a ticket to Synology HD.

I've been using a DS209 with an external USB HD bay with two different 1Tb HDD for backup (the 2 HDDs are rotated every 2 weeks). The backup is scheduled to start during the night and it doesn't include the folder where the dl station stores files (no files lock should take place).

Problem is backup has been failing after a random period of time for the last two weeks. This is what I have tried so far:
- reformatted the target disk
- changed the target disk
- changed the HD bay & reformatted it
- changed the USB cable
- deleted the backup job and created a new one

all of the above failed - the backup starts and then stops after a random period of time (from 10 mins to 2-3 hours). Sometimes in the log I see indications of issues with specific files (always different) sometimes it just says "backup failed". The disks on my 209 have an overall capacity of 1 Tb and I have now .2 Tb free - amount of data to be backed up is around 0.7Tb

Any idea? I suspect I could have a problem with the USB controller on the DS (sometimes I cannot see the external disk after the backup fails)... :(

Thx in advance
Giovanni
gperrone71
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Backup/Restore for computer clients