Unstable? iscsi initiator losing connection!

All questions regarding the Synology system as a iSCSI Target can go here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Unstable? iscsi initiator losing connection!

Postby mortengh » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:41 pm

Hello!

Setup:
Synology DS409slim (firmware: DSM 2.2-0959)
Initiator: OpenSolaris 2009.06

After a day to two the Solaris server fails to access the Synology iscsi targets. When this happends I see the following in the Synology log:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type Date & Time User Event
Information 2009/12/13 12:18:07 admin User [admin] logged in from [192.168.1.8]
Information 2009/12/13 00:00:00 admin NTP: Sync with time server [193.162.159.97] offset [-2.224730] sec.
Information 2009/12/12 21:43:54 admin Windows file service was started.
Information 2009/12/12 21:43:50 admin Windows file service was stopped.
Information 2009/12/12 21:07:14 admin Windows file service was started.
Information 2009/12/12 21:07:08 admin Windows file service was stopped.
Information 2009/12/12 16:47:25 admin User [admin] logged in from [192.168.1.8]
Information 2009/12/12 15:48:14 admin Clear [System log].
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems like the Windows file service gets restarted for no reason known to me. Even though it is not written in the log it seems like the same thing happends for the iscsi targets.
This is not a networking problem. I am just about 100% sure that ethernet connection is kept up and running (all devices in a closed rack with no human access).

Is this a known issue? I have to mirror the data to an internal disk because the iscsi disks are currently so unreliable.

Best regards,
- Morten Green Hermansen, Fanitas
mortengh
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Unstable? iscsi initiator losing connection!

Postby vm.franklin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Greetings mortengh

I haven't seen this error being reported anywhere, may I suggest that you also contact online support and submit a kernel log (please see my signature links for further details) to our support staff. Please also post your ticket number, so I may go find your kernel log as I would like to review it.

Just as a thought - have you checked your MTU values on the DiskStation with the rest of your network? Please try operating at 1500 MTU for best compatibility.

Have good day.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel Log ~ Synology eNews
vm.franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby mortengh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:18 am

Hello!

Finally I got time to report this issue to Synology support.
I got the issue ID: #36334.

I will remember to post the conclusion here for the rest of you, when we get it resolved.

Best regards,
mortengh
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mortengh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:51 am

Hello!

Synology support told me:
"It seems that OpenSolaris iSCSI initiator isn't well support to NOP pdu, therefore iSCSI target will drop connections after timeout. Our RD team could help to replace the binary of iSCSI target to make another try. For this service, we will need your permission to get into your system via telnet access. Please help to provide us with the information below so we can access your system."

Ok! So it seem like the problem is in OpenSolaris not supporting the NOP command. So I wrote in the OpenSolaris forum. You can see the discussion in the following but the conclusion seems to be that OpenSolaris DO implement the NOP command (the even send me a link to the sourcecode that handled this).

http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=121533&tstart=0

Can anyone tell me where the problem is? OpenSolaris, Synology or something else?

Best regards,
mortengh
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby chasler » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Hello,

I have same problem with a DS409 and vSphere 4 ESXi (last build, 219382). The iSCSI connection work fine for a few days, and the connections is lost. I have to deactivate and reactivate the iSCSI target to get the connection restored with vSphere.
chasler
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby netkit » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:35 am

Hello,

we have same problem with a DS1010+ (DSM 2.3-1141) and ISCSI with Windows 2003 Server and Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator 2.08.
Windows System Log:
1. (Alert) Target sent an invalid status sequence number for a connection. Dump data contains Expected Status Sequence number followed by the given status sequence number.
2. (Information) Initiator received an asynchronous logout message. The Target name is given in the dump data.
3. (Alert) Fehlerhafter Block bei Gerät \Device\Harddisk2.
4. (Alert) Login request failed. The login response packet is given in the dump data.
After restarting the Synology the ISCSI target is available for some time...
MTU Size is 1500.
ISCSI Target ist 99% of Vulume1 (5 x 2TB RAID0).

Greetings
netkit
netkit
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sebasvv » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Hello All,

Sorry to bump this again.

I got the same as chasler on a ESXi 4.1 machine with a DS1010+ (DSM 2.3-1161) after a couple hours/days the connection is dropped/stalled, a re-enable of the target restored the datastore.

Anyone got a solution from support?

(I already created a ticket with support)
Sebastian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Storage: DS1010+ - 5xWD20EARS (DSM 2.3-1161)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
sebasvv
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Loki1973 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Same here on an ESX 4.1 server and a DS508 using DSM 2.3-1157.

Connection gone after a few hours at best... Sometimes even minutes.
Any update on this issue from anyone yet?
Loki1973
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Loki1973 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Ah, my problem seems to be solved. It appeared a disk was defective in my RAID5 set, that went unnoticed to the DS508 by some time. After manually running the S.M.A.R.T tests an error appeared.

After the removing the defective disk all went well again. Bizarre to see however, that this seems to crash almost the entire box.
Awaiting my replacement disk in a couple of days.
Loki1973
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Loki1973 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Loki1973 wrote:Ah, my problem seems to be solved. It appeared a disk was defective in my RAID5 set, that went unnoticed to the DS508 by some time. After manually running the S.M.A.R.T tests an error appeared.

After the removing the defective disk all went well again. Bizarre to see however, that this seems to crash almost the entire box.
Awaiting my replacement disk in a couple of days.

Alas, it's still failing. This sucks! Anyone have a solution yet?

Loki.
Loki1973
Trainee
Trainee

Postby nationwide » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Try the following:

If you are running ESX(i) stop any virtual machines running on the iSCSI target
Remove the virtual machines from the ESX(i) inventory.

1. Login to the Synology applicance as root (password is same as the admin user)
2. on the commandline type: /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S78iscsitrg.sh stop (This stops iSCSI on the Synology)
3. backup the configfile: cp -p /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf.bkxxxxxx (xxxxxx = date notation, e.a. 101115)
4. Edit the configfile: vi /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf
5. Change iscsi type: change support_iscsi_type="lio" to support_iscsi_type="iet" (in VI use <INSERT> to go into editing mode, type :wq to write and quit)
6. Start iSCSI: /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S78iscsitrg.sh start

If you are running ESX(i) rescan the iscsi HBA
The datastore will not be automatically connected, you will have to add it again.
On the configuration TAB select "Storage", then select "Add Storage" (Choose Disk/LUN and follow the wizard)
You can then import the virtual machines back into your ESX(i) inventory

Please post back the results here.
nationwide
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby RickRoll » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Did this work for other people? Is there any other known fix?

Unfortunately, the move from lio to iet has not helped in my case (both Synology and ESXi host have been rebooted since).
The ESXi (4.1 U1) host constantly crashes/hangs with the iscsi datastore mounted when substantial i/o goes through it. In the end I've had to move all of the VMs to NFS shares on the Synology (410J DSM 3.0-1337), which was not really what I wanted.
I don't suppose anybody knows if this problem is solved in the beta of 3.1 (I realise that my model is not supported as per the VMWare's HCL)?

Cheers,

Rick
RickRoll
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby matarvai » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:32 am

I have the same problem with DS410. When we have more i/o usage on DS410 it drops connection to ESXi. And I need to reboot ESXi to get it running again. I will try the 3.1 DSM tomorrow and see if that helps, but as of now iScsi is unusable with ESXi.
matarvai
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DronNick » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:49 pm

I had similar problems with my RS411 and vSphere 4.1: disk I/O errors all the time, even if on moderate load. On linux "GRUB Error 2" on Windows "Boot device not found" etc. It was not possible to install Linux or Windows Guest due file system errors(i had no dropped connection to vSphere).

Update of RS411 to DSM 3.1-1748 seems to fix this problems. Now i can install Linux or Windows.

So give a try to DSM 3.1-1748.
DronNick
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to iSCSI Target