Remote access for DS213

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Remote access for DS213

Postby johnbigbootie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 pm

I work in small office with four users and we use Comcast as our ISP. A separate room from the office has our cable modem. The cable modem has a Ethernet cable going to a WRT54G WAN Port. The WRT54G is not being used as a wireless router.
Coming from the LAN ports on the WRT54G is a Ethernet cable going to a Netgear switch.
The office has Ethernet ports and one of them is hooked up to a Netgear WDNR3700 wireless router which is enabled.
The DS213 is connected to the WDNR3700 via a Ethernet cable.
I have it setup so wireless and wired users are all on the same IP range. It was done based on the following instructions.
http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Connecting_two_SOHO_broadband_routers_together

The EZ-Internet wizard worked great and I was able to setup the port forwarding rules for the DS213. When I enter in my public IP Address I see the Comcast sign-on page and not the sign-on screen for my DS213.

What must I do so that I can gain access to my DS213 remotely?

Thank you for looking.
johnbigbootie
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Remote access for DS213

Postby Flopper » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:58 am

The WRT54G probably does not route to the Netgear properly, if it is bridged, OK, but it probably is not, sot that one needs to have the same forwards too, althoug it will be tricky as it is probably on a different subnet.
Some people spent a lot of time writing the Help files, use them!
Flopper
Skilled
Skilled

Postby johnbigbootie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:27 am

Thank you Flopper. I will try that in morning and will then update you.
johnbigbootie
Trainee
Trainee

Postby johnbigbootie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Flopper that did not help.

Fwiw - When I sign onto the Comcast business modem it states my local settings are 10.x.x.x. The IP address of the DS213 is in the 192.x.x.x range as is all the users on the network.

Would it be helpful if I changed the IP range on the next work to 10.x.x.x? Would this enable me to see my DS213 remotely? If not, any suggestions are appreciated.
johnbigbootie
Trainee
Trainee

Postby johnbigbootie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:32 pm

I changed the my configuration to:

I have the SMC cable modem connecting directly to the Linksys wireless router and the DS213 is connected to the Linksys wireless router. On the router I changed the WAN settings so the IP Addres is the same as the static IP Address of the DS213. The gateway is the same as the cable modem.

On my Comcast business modem I enabled the DMZ host and I entered in the IP Address of the static IP Address of the DS213. In the Port Configuration page I opened port 21.

When entering in the public IP Address with the username and password in FileZilla I receive the following message:
Connecting to 33.888.444.333:21...
Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
Error: Could not connect to server

Do I need to add a port forwarding rule on the Linksys router?

Any suggestions to make this work successful is appreciated.
johnbigbootie
Trainee
Trainee

Return to Remote Access and Network Management