Connect direct to DS212 through ethernet?

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Connect direct to DS212 through ethernet?

Postby ukmitch86 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:54 pm

First time poster here, and first time Synology product user.

I picked up a Synology DS212 as a means of automatic and external data security after an unfortunate incident where a RAID1 setup would've saved me a lot of bother.

I have over 700GB to transfer to the drive's current single 2TB disk (identical disk to follow next month) and I've so far only worked out how to use the DS through the router.

I want to connect the DS directly to a laptop PC and gain the transfer speeds available through ethernet.

1) Is it possible?
2) Is there a guide available to do this?
3) Do I need a crossed cable or is the patch cable (supplied in box) sufficient?
4) Will I be able to map the drive in windows?
5) Will I be able to manage the DS through the web browser? (I've become familiar with the DSM4 system)
ukmitch86
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Connect direct to DS212 through ethernet?

Postby Jeremie » Mon May 07, 2012 12:37 pm

ukmitch86 wrote:First time poster here, and first time Synology product user.

I picked up a Synology DS212 as a means of automatic and external data security after an unfortunate incident where a RAID1 setup would've saved me a lot of bother.

I have over 700GB to transfer to the drive's current single 2TB disk (identical disk to follow next month) and I've so far only worked out how to use the DS through the router.

I want to connect the DS directly to a laptop PC and gain the transfer speeds available through ethernet.

1) Is it possible?
2) Is there a guide available to do this?
3) Do I need a crossed cable or is the patch cable (supplied in box) sufficient?
4) Will I be able to map the drive in windows?
5) Will I be able to manage the DS through the web browser? (I've become familiar with the DSM4 system)

Hi,

Not that usual, but it's possible, here are some other posts which will give you hints on the process:
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=49532&hilit=connect+directly+ethernet
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=45085&hilit=connect+direct+ethernet
No specific guide available (to my knowledge), you can use your RJ45 to do that.

Hope it helps,

Jeremie
Jeremie
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Re: Connect direct to DS212 through ethernet?

Postby ukmitch86 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I know I'm not using it how it was intended - I'm using it as a glorified external HDD, one which means I have a RAID1 device giving me ethernet connection speeds. Automatic backup and redundancy just isn't available in such a tidy, easy to use package as the Synology products.

the original query has been solved however - it appears that a router is needed for the initial setup, which I used, but thereafter, a direct connection the PC using the supplied RJ45 cable allows you to use and manage the DS as if it were connected to the router.

Problem solved - set it up through the router and make sure automatic DHCP is chosen or Synology assistant won't see it.

How do you mark this as solved?
ukmitch86
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Remote Access and Network Management