How to point a Domain Name?

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

How to point a Domain Name?

Postby TerminatioN » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi, I just bought a domain name from Netfirms.

I was wondering how I point that to my DS409? I have DDNS setup and I can access everything using that subdomain, but I would like to be able to use my new domain to access File Station, Audio Station, etc. Is that possible? If so, how would I go about doing that?

I thought that maybe I could just have the domain forward to the DDNS subdomain and enable masking, but after trying that it's not working. It's giving me an "Internal Error".

Any help? Pleaaaaase. I'm desparate.
TerminatioN
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: How to point a Domain Name?

Postby kerryandjane » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:27 am

Hey bud by now i'm sure you're questions has been answered or you have been pulling out your hair.

To use a domain name (or DNS) you need
    1. A Static IP address (meaning an external IP address that doesn't change) - to get this static IP address you need to call up your ISP and ask them.... it may cost, it may be default.
    2. Point the DNS to your external IP address. (that happens at the domain name end.... go to where you bought it and see at there end how to.

if you wanna know your external IP address or test your ports are forwarded correctly go to http://www.canyouseeme.org

Tell me how you get on .... or if i'm teaching you how to suck eggs.
DS209+ 2 x 2TB HD's (2xWD20EARS-00S8B1)
running latest firmware DSM 4.2
SparkLAN CAS-371W IP Cam
iPhone 3GS with SynoDS
and slim PS3
Get tech or die trying
kerryandjane
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Return to Remote Access and Network Management