DS110j: internet access using SKY broadband

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

DS110j: internet access using SKY broadband

Postby tonyh » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:32 pm

I have newly acquired a DS110j. The server is visible ok by using synology assistant or by typing in the IP address in a browser. I can't access the DS via windows explorer - I always get the message - WIndows cannot access DISKSTATION, together with error code 0x80070035 the network path was not found. I have assumed that I would be able to get at the server in windows explorer - is this not the case? The DISKSTATION shows up in my network window (running windows 7 on a PC and vista business on a laptop - same result) but I get the above message. can anyone help?
I have just tried to setup internet access using EZ-Internet. I connect to broadband through a Netgear DG834GT ADSL router - my isp is SKY. Which option should I choose -
How do you connect the DiskStation to the Internet?
:
Directly connect to the Internet
:
Connect using DSL or cable modem or LAN that does not require username and password.
:
Broadband (PPPoE)
:
Connect using a DSL or cable modem that requires username and password.
:
Through a router
:
Connect to a router, and set up port forwarding.

I think Sky uses PPPoA, so probably not the second option. I tried setup for the first option registering a NO-IP hostname, but have done something wrong because when I type the URL? into a browser, it asks me for a login and password for the Sky Router. The 3rd option does not have my router in the list so I have reported to Synology as requested. Has anyone done this who is using SKY broadband?
all help much appreciated.

thanks,
Tony
tonyh
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS110j: internet access using SKY broadband

Postby jekyll » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:33 am

tonyh wrote:I think Sky uses PPPoA, so probably not the second option. I tried setup for the first option registering a NO-IP hostname, but have done something wrong because when I type the URL? into a browser, it asks me for a login and password for the Sky Router. The 3rd option does not have my router in the list so I have reported to Synology as requested. Has anyone done this who is using SKY broadband?
all help much appreciated.

Sky do use PPPoA, what your trying to do is perform a loopback (which wont work) especially with those DG834G netgears that sky lock.
Sadly Sky won't let you use a different router. I've set a few ppl up on sky... a pain in the @$$

With the modem hardware not supporting loopback, you'll have to get a friend to test it for ya..
The router config (above) has nothing to do with DDNS.
www.jekyll.info

APC UPS1500RM2U
APC AP7920
Syno DS410
Syno DS509
Syno VS80
jekyll
Wizard
Wizard

Postby planestoner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:53 am

Chaps,

I appear to be experiencing the exact same symptoms as jekyll, I have a DG834G v3 NETGEAR router (standard NETGEAR firmware), which connects to virginmedia broadband ADSL via PPPoA. My computers (vista 32bit), are connected to the router as is my new DS110j. I setup the users on the DS, the applications req'd and then set-up file sharing (Win/Mac OS), and typed in my local Workgroup name. All is well and I have access to my shared folders hosted on the DS via windows explorer and have mapped them as drives in My Computer so have easy access - wonderful I'm a happy man!

However, as soon as I set-up the internet access via EZ-Internet (I selected' Directly connect to the Internet'), I can then access the DS port on the reported IP, however, once that process has occurred I then can't access the shared folders hosted on the DS via windows explorer or as the mapped drives - giving the same wonderful reason - error code 0x80070035 the network path was not found.

What a delight!

So can anyone instruct me on which ADSL Netgear routers will allow this 'Loopback' to which is referred if if there is a setting which I have stupidly missed!

Cheers
planestoner
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Toxic » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:32 pm

why not use DDNS on the DS, and setup a DYNDNS account. on you have this you cna leave everything the way it is.

then on your dg834 setup a firewall rule (inbound) for https to goto your DS IP address. and possibly port 5001.

then when you type https://your.dyndns.org:5001 address from a remote location you are fowarded to your DS admin panel.
Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org
Synology CS407 - DSM 3.0-1354
Cisco ASA5505 v8.3(4)2 - ASDM v6.3(4)53 512Mb/512Mb
Toxic
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Return to Remote Access and Network Management