DS110j: internet access using SKY broadband

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

DS110j: internet access using SKY broadband

Postby tonyh » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:32 pm

I have newly acquired a DS110j. The server is visible ok by using synology assistant or by typing in the IP address in a browser. I can't access the DS via windows explorer - I always get the message - WIndows cannot access DISKSTATION, together with error code 0x80070035 the network path was not found. I have assumed that I would be able to get at the server in windows explorer - is this not the case? The DISKSTATION shows up in my network window (running windows 7 on a PC and vista business on a laptop - same result) but I get the above message. can anyone help?
I have just tried to setup internet access using EZ-Internet. I connect to broadband through a Netgear DG834GT ADSL router - my isp is SKY. Which option should I choose -
How do you connect the DiskStation to the Internet?
:
Directly connect to the Internet
:
Connect using DSL or cable modem or LAN that does not require username and password.
:
Broadband (PPPoE)
:
Connect using a DSL or cable modem that requires username and password.
:
Through a router
:
Connect to a router, and set up port forwarding.

I think Sky uses PPPoA, so probably not the second option. I tried setup for the first option registering a NO-IP hostname, but have done something wrong because when I type the URL? into a browser, it asks me for a login and password for the Sky Router. The 3rd option does not have my router in the list so I have reported to Synology as requested. Has anyone done this who is using SKY broadband?
all help much appreciated.

thanks,
Tony
tonyh
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS110j: internet access using SKY broadband

Postby jekyll » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:33 am

tonyh wrote:I think Sky uses PPPoA, so probably not the second option. I tried setup for the first option registering a NO-IP hostname, but have done something wrong because when I type the URL? into a browser, it asks me for a login and password for the Sky Router. The 3rd option does not have my router in the list so I have reported to Synology as requested. Has anyone done this who is using SKY broadband?
all help much appreciated.

Sky do use PPPoA, what your trying to do is perform a loopback (which wont work) especially with those DG834G netgears that sky lock.
Sadly Sky won't let you use a different router. I've set a few ppl up on sky... a pain in the @$$

With the modem hardware not supporting loopback, you'll have to get a friend to test it for ya..
The router config (above) has nothing to do with DDNS.
CS-407 - DSM 2.2-0953 - 4xWD6400AAKS 'RAID5' : APC Smart UPS 750 & AP9619
DS-107 - DSM 2.2-0953 - WD10EADS [Flashed DS101G+]
DS-106 - DSM 2.2-0953 - WD5000AACS [Flashed DS101G+]
USB Station - Dymo 310 USB : Canon IP4200 : APC UPS 350

DES-1016D : Ellion HMR-700A : Netgear MP101 : 4xBL-C1 IP Cams : APC BK 650MI

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty

| Back soon - waiting for a new connection |
jekyll
Wizard
Wizard

Postby planestoner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:53 am

Chaps,

I appear to be experiencing the exact same symptoms as jekyll, I have a DG834G v3 NETGEAR router (standard NETGEAR firmware), which connects to virginmedia broadband ADSL via PPPoA. My computers (vista 32bit), are connected to the router as is my new DS110j. I setup the users on the DS, the applications req'd and then set-up file sharing (Win/Mac OS), and typed in my local Workgroup name. All is well and I have access to my shared folders hosted on the DS via windows explorer and have mapped them as drives in My Computer so have easy access - wonderful I'm a happy man!

However, as soon as I set-up the internet access via EZ-Internet (I selected' Directly connect to the Internet'), I can then access the DS port on the reported IP, however, once that process has occurred I then can't access the shared folders hosted on the DS via windows explorer or as the mapped drives - giving the same wonderful reason - error code 0x80070035 the network path was not found.

What a delight!

So can anyone instruct me on which ADSL Netgear routers will allow this 'Loopback' to which is referred if if there is a setting which I have stupidly missed!

Cheers
planestoner
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Toxic » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:32 pm

why not use DDNS on the DS, and setup a DYNDNS account. on you have this you cna leave everything the way it is.

then on your dg834 setup a firewall rule (inbound) for https to goto your DS IP address. and possibly port 5001.

then when you type https://your.dyndns.org:5001 address from a remote location you are fowarded to your DS admin panel.
Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org
Synology CS407 - DSM 3.0-1354
Cisco ASA5505 v8.3(4)2 - ASDM v6.3(4)53 512Mb/512Mb
Toxic
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Return to Remote Access and Network Management