Optimizing transfer speeds (ds211j)

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Optimizing transfer speeds (ds211j)

Postby kevstev » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:42 pm

I completely wiped my ds211j this past weekend, and with only one disk installed, I was getting about 10MB/s up and down. Surprisingly, after adding the second disk, and recreating an SHR raid 1 volume, my read speed this morning was about 5MB/s. In both cases, I was reading a file about 1GB big. These speeds are adequate, but I really want to know why I am not getting the 30MB/s+ that others are reporting.

I am downloading straight from filestation, which may be part of the problem. Should I be transferring via samba/cifs? NFS? FTP? I have not yet enabled any services on the NAS aside from the user home service. I also have just the default settings on for windows sharing (no master browser, optimization of db operations).

Setup:
2x Western Digital 500GB Caviar Green (WD5000ADS)
NAS is plugged into Netgear GS108T gigabit smart switch, which plugs into the FIOS Router. Jumbo frames are enabled.
Laptop (core i7 w/ gigabit ethernet) is plugged into FIOS Actiontec MI424WR router.
There is also a Linksys WRT54g hooked into the Fios router, but that should be irrelevant, as it is just an access point on the other side of the house.

Is there something obvious I am missing? I am going to start changing out cables and routers, but if there is something easy I am doing wrong, I would like to know before I start making a mess of things.
kevstev
Novice
Novice

Re: Optimizing transfer speeds (ds211j)

Postby henkg » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:33 pm

FIOS Actiontec MI424WR router
I searched using Google. If this is a Rev F (or lower) version, gigabit is not supported. Only from Rev G onwards. (http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r ... G~start=80)
In plain English: no gigabit -> 100 mbit -> max. 12 MB/s
DS412+. 4x WD40EFRX, RAID5. DSM 5.0-4493 update 5
DS210j. 2x HD204UI, RAID1. DSM 5.0-4493 update 4
Windows 8.1 Pro. Router Netgear WNDR3700. Switch TP-Link TL-SG1008D. AcRyan Mini v1. UPS APC BE700G-GR. Ipcam Edimax IC-3010.
henkg
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby kevstev » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:49 pm

I moved to my place last October, so I would be surprised if the fios installer didn't put in a gigabit router- that wasn't even something I considered. I also vaguely recall having "rev g" but I will have to check when I return home. That could be why I previously was maxing out around 10MB/s though.
kevstev
Novice
Novice

Postby kevstev » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:59 am

SOB!!!!!! I do have a rev F that is only 100MB. That explains my speeds...

GRRR...

Followup: just benchmarked a file copy at 80MB/s. Problem solved!
kevstev
Novice
Novice

Return to File Server Performance