Optimizing transfer speeds (ds211j)

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Optimizing transfer speeds (ds211j)

Postby kevstev » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:42 pm

I completely wiped my ds211j this past weekend, and with only one disk installed, I was getting about 10MB/s up and down. Surprisingly, after adding the second disk, and recreating an SHR raid 1 volume, my read speed this morning was about 5MB/s. In both cases, I was reading a file about 1GB big. These speeds are adequate, but I really want to know why I am not getting the 30MB/s+ that others are reporting.

I am downloading straight from filestation, which may be part of the problem. Should I be transferring via samba/cifs? NFS? FTP? I have not yet enabled any services on the NAS aside from the user home service. I also have just the default settings on for windows sharing (no master browser, optimization of db operations).

Setup:
2x Western Digital 500GB Caviar Green (WD5000ADS)
NAS is plugged into Netgear GS108T gigabit smart switch, which plugs into the FIOS Router. Jumbo frames are enabled.
Laptop (core i7 w/ gigabit ethernet) is plugged into FIOS Actiontec MI424WR router.
There is also a Linksys WRT54g hooked into the Fios router, but that should be irrelevant, as it is just an access point on the other side of the house.

Is there something obvious I am missing? I am going to start changing out cables and routers, but if there is something easy I am doing wrong, I would like to know before I start making a mess of things.
kevstev
Novice
Novice

Re: Optimizing transfer speeds (ds211j)

Postby henkg » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:33 pm

FIOS Actiontec MI424WR router
I searched using Google. If this is a Rev F (or lower) version, gigabit is not supported. Only from Rev G onwards. (http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r ... G~start=80)
In plain English: no gigabit -> 100 mbit -> max. 12 MB/s
DS412+. 4x WD40EFRX, RAID5. DSM 5.0-4458 update 2
DS210j. 2x HD204UI, RAID1. DSM 5.0-4458 update 2
Windows 8.1 Pro. Router Netgear WNDR3700. Switch TP-Link TL-SG1008D. AcRyan Mini v1. UPS APC BE700G-GR. Ipcam Edimax IC-3010.
henkg
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby kevstev » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:49 pm

I moved to my place last October, so I would be surprised if the fios installer didn't put in a gigabit router- that wasn't even something I considered. I also vaguely recall having "rev g" but I will have to check when I return home. That could be why I previously was maxing out around 10MB/s though.
kevstev
Novice
Novice

Postby kevstev » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:59 am

SOB!!!!!! I do have a rev F that is only 100MB. That explains my speeds...

GRRR...

Followup: just benchmarked a file copy at 80MB/s. Problem solved!
kevstev
Novice
Novice

Return to File Server Performance