107+ Jumbo frame rates Config

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

107+ Jumbo frame rates Config

Postby Exibit » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:24 am

Hi guys

Under the heading "SYSTEM" there is an option for

1, Jumbo Frame can only be enabled under Gigabit network environment.

2, Jumbo Frame only works when it is enabled on the accessing PC and devices across the network all support it as well.

Now my Synology 107+ is connected to a Netgear GS605 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch, I then have 2 PC's also connected to the switch. My question is what setting should I set the Synology - Current setting disable Jumbo frame rates, the MTU value is 1500, though in the drop down box there are loads of options.

thanks for taking the time to reply
Synology 213+
Western Digital Caviar Red 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache X 2
DSM 4.2-3211; Build Date : 2013/04/18
A Dog Is ForVersion
Christmas Not
Just A Friday
Night[/color]
Exibit
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Franklin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:28 pm

Unless all networking devices within your network supports gigabit speeds, and higher MTU values, I would recommend that you leave everything that 1500MTU.

Networking devices includes NIC Cards, Routers, Switches, etc, etc
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Exibit » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks Franklin, my router is not Gigabit so I will leave the setting as it is
Synology 213+
Western Digital Caviar Red 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache X 2
DSM 4.2-3211; Build Date : 2013/04/18
A Dog Is ForVersion
Christmas Not
Just A Friday
Night[/color]
Exibit
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Franklin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 pm

Exibit-

Further notes

This may or may not be possible, depends on your switch

Turn off all computers/networking devices before executing this....

Attach all Gigabit devices to your Gigabit Switch, and then connect an uplink cable between the Switch and Router

Power up your network, and experiment with data transfers between your computer and another computer/NAS. If you observe the switch, and data is only passing between the two computers, you're good to go and can experiment with higher MTU values.

If however, you see data being passed between the two computers and the uplink port of the switch, then it is not advisable to experiment with higher MTU values, as your switch is passing data through the router, which may cause network problems. Also, I would suggest looking at another switch, as a switch that performs this type of behavior is abnormal, generally speaking.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby bouncemeister » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:59 am

I have a network of several pc's, xboxes, switches, router and of course a Synology DS-207. Everything is working at 100mbit at the moment. I need a new switch and was thinking about buying a gigabit switch for the room where the diskstation and the pc's are in.

This way i want to make part of the network gigabit capable, namely the pc's (gigabit nic) and the diskstation DS-207. The xboxes and router downstairs will still be 100Mbit, but are connected to the same network through another 100mbit switch and the 100mbit router, also a laptop is connected through wireless lan.

I have two questions:

1. Will the pc and NAS communicate at gigabit speed since they are all connected to the gigabit switch and all support gigabit? (I mean without jumbo frames)

2. Can i enable jumboframes or will this disable the 100mbit xboxes to connect to the DS-207?
bouncemeister
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Franklin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:27 am

bouncemeister

Please refer to the above image; this depicts a hybrid network of two different network capabilities, 1Gbps and 10/100Mbps. As long as the Gigabit devices are on their own "Gigabit arm" then they should be able to perform at Gigabit speeds with jumbo frames enabled or disabled. And the data transfers between Gigabit devices should remain within that particular arm only. If you observe that the Gigabit switch is sending data to the router, and then back to the other computer, then I would consider acquiring a different switch.

Devices should the 100Mbps network should work fine at their lower speeds, when they attempt to access data from the Gigabit side. Even if Jumbo frames is enabled, the system should auto-negotiate to use a lower speed, when communicating with the slower device.

Hope this answers your question
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Return to File Server Performance