The specified network name is no longer available

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

The specified network name is no longer available

Postby Alex_zloj » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi,

Copying large data (above 20GB) to our RS 408-RP Rack Station from the workstations does'nt works: the copy process starts, some data (5GB , sometimes 10GB or more) is copied, than the copy process breaks with the Windows message: The specified network name is no longer available. First the copying process freezes, then either continues in about one minute or stops with this error message, so it is possible sometimes to copy large data (once I could copy 60GB after multiple attempts :D ).
I've also connected my laptop directly to RS408-RP bypassing the switch, but the problem still persists.
I've tried diverse network configurations of RS408-RP - fixed IP, DHCP, jumbo frames - but nothing helps.

In the logfile (/var/log/message) I found - smbd: nsswitch/wb_common.c(522) read_sock fail

Copying large data to workstations from the RS 408-RP works fine.

Current firmware version: DSM 2.0-0722
Firmware date: 2008/09/19
LAN port: 1000, Full duplex, mtu 1500
Only network share is enabled
The RS 408-RP is in the Windows ADS Domain, all domain users/computer can access all shared drives.

Thanks,

Alex
Alex_zloj
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: The specified network name is no longer available

Postby sangk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:27 am

Hi Alex_zloj,

The message is a network communication failure message. I would start checking cables, NIC in the computer and, other network configuration in the environment such as setting MTU to 1500 on workstation and other network equipments.

Regards,
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel Log ~ Synology eNews
sangk
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Alex_zloj » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks sangk,

I replaced cables, the upload to RS 408-RP does'nt work from all windows workstations we have, but upload to other Linux servers (not NAS) with Samba work's fine. The MTU on workstations is set to 1500.
I also upgraded the firmware of RS 408-RP to DSM 2.1-0839, but it did'nt help.

Thanks,

Alex
Alex_zloj
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby DeHeipaal » Mon May 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Same problem here! With XP client and DS207. Copying large files eventually renders the DS unuseable!!!
Webinterface cannot be contacted, no ping reply....only fixed by a hard reset.
Synology please help!

Could it be some kind of time out on the 'Do you want to overwrite this file' or the 'Do you really want to move this read only file' dialog boxes???
DeHeipaal
Trainee
Trainee

Postby pohutukawa » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:07 am

DeHeipaal wrote:Same problem here! With XP client and DS207. Copying large files eventually renders the DS unuseable!!!
Webinterface cannot be contacted, no ping reply....only fixed by a hard reset.
Synology please help!

Could it be some kind of time out on the 'Do you want to overwrite this file' or the 'Do you really want to move this read only file' dialog boxes???

Same issue here with a DS207+. Copying large files to this NAS seems to bring it to its knees. No option but pulling the power (can't even SSH in for reboot) and now the dåmn thing won't start up.

What's going on Synology? Latest firmware being used here.
pohutukawa
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Gazolineboy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Same problem on DS 207. I've got the latest Vista update and everything. (Yes, yes, yes, I know I shouldn't have bought that 1TB Samsung disk before checking compatibility, but I don't think that's what causing the problem in this case.)

Synology people, PLEASE REPLY..!!!

I'd be happy to grant you remote access to my PC any day to see this for yourselves, if you'd think that would help you work it out. Just send me an e-mail.

Best, Gazolineboy
Gazolineboy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby HarryPotter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Gazolineboy wrote:Same problem on DS 207. I've got the latest Vista update and everything. (Yes, yes, yes, I know I shouldn't have bought that 1TB Samsung disk before checking compatibility, but I don't think that's what causing the problem in this case.)

Synology people, PLEASE REPLY..!!!

I'd be happy to grant you remote access to my PC any day to see this for yourselves, if you'd think that would help you work it out. Just send me an e-mail.

Best, Gazolineboy

This is a user forum.

If you need personal assistance from Synology Support, you have to submit a support form.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS713+ / DSM 5.0-4493-5 / 2 x HD204UI (RAID0) / LMS 7.7.3-038
DS712+ / DSM 5.0-4493-5 / 2 x HDS721010KLA330 (RAID0)
DS110+ / DSM 5.0-4493-5 / HD154UI
DS408 / DSM 4.0 2265 / 2 x ST31000340AS (RAID0) + 1 x HDS721010KLA330
DS207+ / DSM 3.1.1639 / ST31000340AS + WD5000KS

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom
Rapsody N35

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby Gazolineboy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:46 pm

Well, I'm sorry bout that.
I was pretty frustrated at the time I worte it, so take it as an expression of that.

So, let me rephrase: Fellow Synology users, PLEASE HELP..!!

G
Gazolineboy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby JMachan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:02 pm

Same problem here...very disappointing.

DS-209j with 0942 firmware
Last edited by JMachan on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMachan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Joshuaw » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:43 am

Hello All,

Please try upgrading the firmware to 0942 and see if the issue abates. If the issue persists after that, please contact online support. The links to do so are in my signature.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel Log ~ Synology eNews
Joshuaw
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby JMachan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:08 pm

BTW: Mine's a DS-209j...firmware 0942
JMachan
I'm New!
I'm New!