Can you recover a deleted shared folder?

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Can you recover a deleted shared folder?

Postby bill5ter » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:17 am

Hello all,

I think that it may not be possible but I thought I would ask the question anyway.

I was removing a shared temporary folder and accidentally removed a required folder (I was sure that I clicked on the correct one?!?!?). Is there any way to recover these files?

I've looked through the wiki and have found the disclaimer below but I thought id ask anyway.

regards,

bill5ter

PS does any body know what the @eaDir is for? this is stored in the shared folder (hidden) and has a SYNO:Resource file in there.

To remove a share, proceed to the Shared Folder Management Menu, under Privileges -> Shared Folder; select the folder to be deleted, and click Delete
Disclaimer: this will delete all data contained within the folder, be sure that this data is not needed or backed up to a different location
bill5ter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Can you recover a deleted shared folder?

Postby HarryPotter » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:44 am

Sorry, but I cant remember that on this forum someone reported a successful restore of a deleted share. The reason is the EXT3 filesystem that is really erasing the data other than ntfs or FAT32, where data is just marked as deleted. You may address you to a professional data restore service, but the chance is low - and expensive....
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS713+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / 2 x HD204UI (RAID0) / LMS 7.7.3-032
DS712+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / 2 x HDS721010KLA330 (RAID0)
DS110+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / HD154UI
DS408 / DSM 4.0 2228 / 2 x ST31000340AS (RAID0) + 1 x HDS721010KLA330
DS207+ / DSM 3.1.1637 / ST31000340AS + WD5000KS

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom
Rapsody N35

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby bill5ter » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:11 pm

Thanks Harry.

Fortunately it wasn't important data (i cant even remember what was on there) so I don't need to go to that level. I just thought id ask for future purposes ...so ill be really careful in future!

Cheers,

bill5ter
bill5ter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby bill5ter » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:31 pm

Looking a little further on the ext3 filesystem , it looks like it may be possible after all. There is a google group that has created a utility that can search through the ext filesystem and attempt recovery of files. http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/undelete_ext3.html

The document is not for the faint hearted and requires a lot of technical ability. The roest of the process looks fine to me but ive never actually compiled some linux code....does anybody know how to achieve that for the Synology box? What version of linux is it running?

Cheers,

bill5ter
bill5ter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Frankh » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:35 pm

So that's extreme caution when deleting shares.

On a higher level in the Samba Server there is something like CIFS with a sort of recycle bin, I know this is a bit off-topic.
DS107 DSM 3.1-1636; 1x WD10EADS GP; IP-cameras Panasonic BL-C1 and BL-C101; APC Back-UPS ES 700; USB disk for data backup;
DS209 DSM 4.2-3248; 2x WD15EADS GP 1500.299.234.816 bytes SATA II 32 MB cache in RAID 1; American Power Conversion RS 800; two USB disks for data backup; Synology Remote and Creative SB Connect; Netgear GS105 Gigabit Ethernet Switch; aLaptop, iMac, uPC; a common modem/router/firewall; a dose of common sense ;)
Frankh
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby bill5ter » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:20 pm

On a higher level in the Samba Server there is something like CIFS with a sort of recycle bin, I know this is a bit off-topic.

Yeah there is. This is handy if you just delete a file, but if you remove the whole shared folder you're bu%%ered!

it does beg the question which method is safer... having one shared folder with all your files in so you're protected by the recycle bin - with the downside of every file going if you remove the share....os separate shares with recycle bin support?

Is there anyway to create a shared folder that cannot be displayed in the GUI or password protected for removal? Maybe the firmware could be change to prompt the user which folders they are about to delete and the relevant size of number files in it.... then a password required to continue... just a thought.

With regard to the compiling of the linux executable... does anyone know how to do this? I've been an IT consultant for 15 years but never touched linux/unix so now I'm starting again..lol.

Cheers, bill5ter
bill5ter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Franklin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:22 am

@all

"Have DSM display Admin password prompt in order to delete a share or a volume" has been sent to the development team.
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Frankh » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:52 am

Franklin wrote:@all

"Have DSM display Admin password prompt in order to delete a share or a volume" has been sent to the development team.

That should give enough protection against accidental deletation.
DS107 DSM 3.1-1636; 1x WD10EADS GP; IP-cameras Panasonic BL-C1 and BL-C101; APC Back-UPS ES 700; USB disk for data backup;
DS209 DSM 4.2-3248; 2x WD15EADS GP 1500.299.234.816 bytes SATA II 32 MB cache in RAID 1; American Power Conversion RS 800; two USB disks for data backup; Synology Remote and Creative SB Connect; Netgear GS105 Gigabit Ethernet Switch; aLaptop, iMac, uPC; a common modem/router/firewall; a dose of common sense ;)
Frankh
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby bill5ter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:39 pm

yeah it should do , thanks franklin
bill5ter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Return to File Server Performance