Mail Server Gmail SMTP Relay

Discussion Room for the Synology MailStation Package
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Mail Server Gmail SMTP Relay

Postby kdun » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:33 am

Is anyone using gmail as their smtp relay server? If i use gmail as an smtp relay server all mail that gets sent will have the gmail login as sender.

here's what i am doing. i installed Mail Server on the Disk Station. All it does is accept email for mydomain.com and resends the received emails to aliases which are all gmail accounts. If the Mail Server receives email from "John Smith <john@smith.com>" for info@mydomain.com, it will forward the email to mydomain.info@gmail.com. But when the email arrives in the gmail inbox the sender email will have changed. The email will be from "John Smith <mydomain.info@gmail.com>". mydomain.info@gmail.com is the account which i use to access the gmail smtp server for relay.

anyone managed to setup gmail as relay server without it doing that?
kdun
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Mail Server Gmail SMTP Relay

Postby alfons » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 am

kdun wrote:Is anyone using gmail as their smtp relay server? If i use gmail as an smtp relay server all mail that gets sent will have the gmail login as sender.

here's what i am doing. i installed Mail Server on the Disk Station. All it does is accept email for mydomain.com and resends the received emails to aliases which are all gmail accounts. If the Mail Server receives email from "John Smith <john@smith.com>" for info@mydomain.com, it will forward the email to mydomain.info@gmail.com. But when the email arrives in the gmail inbox the sender email will have changed. The email will be from "John Smith <mydomain.info@gmail.com>". mydomain.info@gmail.com is the account which i use to access the gmail smtp server for relay.

anyone managed to setup gmail as relay server without it doing that?

Hi kdun,

I tried that but it got too messy. Instead I checked with my ISP and they offer a relayhost - much easier.
Cheers
Alfons
---------
DS1511+
DS212
---------
alfons
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Mail Server Gmail SMTP Relay

Postby kdun » Thu May 30, 2013 12:29 pm

Good suggestion, did the same. thanks