synology as internal email server

Discussion Room for the Synology MailStation Package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

synology as internal email server

Postby synologyincorporated » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi, I have recently purchased 1010+ and I wish to setup an internal email account using outlook express for the 20 pcs in my office. I alread have a dyndns address. This is especially diccicult when fillinf in the address for imap and smtp account. Please help. Thanks.
synologyincorporated
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: synology as internal email server

Postby Akiland » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:09 pm

I don't really understand your question.
Please elaborate :)
iMac i7 27"
DS1010+ [1.67GHz, Dual Core, 1GB RAM, DSM 4.0 2166] - Media server, File server, TM target, Web App Hosting
DS409+ [1.06GHz, 512MB RAM, DSM 3.1 1594] - E-Mail server and rsnapshot target for TS-439 Pro, SVN Server.
DS409+ [1.06GHz, 512MB RAM, DSM 3.1 1594] - Off-site backup target
DS107e [266 MHz, 32MB RAM, DSM none] - Collecting dust
Qnap TS-439 Pro - File server
Mac Mini Server
Boxee Box by D-Link
Akiland
Skilled
Skilled

Postby synologyincorporated » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:35 am

i wanna use outlook express to send and receive internal email. These emails would be send and received without having any access to the internet. I understand that i would require a server of a sort eg. MICROSOFT EXCHANGE, NAS, to transfer these emails hence, I have purchased synology to resolve this. However, I am unable to setup my outlook express to do this. I also have dyndns.com account which i was told is required for this NAS setup. Pleasse advice. Thank you
synologyincorporated
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mike42dk » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:27 am

Hi

I am not sure if you can do this without a FQDN (Fully qualified domain name) like example.com (synology.com) and then set it though your DDNS, so your new domain name points to your DS.

As far as I know you need to have a prefix for your email addresses (test@example.com).

If you have a domain name, then it should be straight forward.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS-412+
2 WD red 2 TB harddrive RAID 1
1 Seagate 2 TB harddrive Basic
mike42dk
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby Townie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:17 pm

As long as your intention is only an internal email server with no outside access then refer to this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=24379

There is no need for a DynDNS hostname for an internal email server, only if you are to send and receive emails from outside your LAN.
Townie
Student
Student

Postby synologyincorporated » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:50 pm

I somehow managed to setup the internal mail(email without internet) but only by using roundcube. Is there anyway to setup an internal email using outlook express?

What is the difference between outlook express and roundcube? If there are no difference, then how come i am unable to setup internal email for outlook express but able to do it with roundcube?

Thanks for listening, your patience and your contribution so far.
synologyincorporated
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Townie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:12 am

Ok, The post I linked to does give the information you need but I will give a brief rundown of what you need to do.
You need to know:

Your network is set up only as a workgroup, not a Domain.
Name given to your Synology Diskstation
IP address of your Synology Diskstation. (Must be a fixed IP address on your LAN)
email domain you wish to use

Normally requests for email server IP's are done using DNS records. As you are only running a local mail server you need to tell each computer where to find the mail server as they cannot use DNS records. (Unless you are running a local DNS server of course)

The only difference between Roundcube and Outlook is that Roundcube knows were the mail server is located because it too runs on the same server. Outloook Express needs to know where to look to find the mail server, but you cannot set a numerical IP for a POP/IMAP server in Outlook Express, it has to be in domain name format. The way we achieve this is to edit the hosts file on each computer on the LAN. The hosts file is like a local DNS lookup, it will search there before it searches DNS servers.

Firstly, you need to know what email domain you are going to use. If your email address is "username@example.com" then you need to add "example.com" as the domain name in Mailstation. Also on each computer edit the hosts file. I'm guessing you're using windows so edit (or create if one does not exist) the text file located at "%systemroot% \system32\drivers\etc\hosts" Add the hostname of the DS and the local IP address in the format:

"local IP of DS" "Hostname" # Enter comment here so you know what it is. EG; Diskstation IP address and Hostname
"local IP of DS" mail.example.com # Enter comment here so you know what it is. EG: Mail Server

(leave out the quotation marks. The hosts file location given here is for Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7)

Now in Outlook Express you need to set the server names. For IMAP/POP3 and SMTP the server name is exactly what you entered in the hosts file on each computer. In the above example it would be "mail.example.com" Adjust as needed.

You will need authentication to the mail server so adjust this to your needs. Outlook Express should now be able to communicate with your Diskstation.

Repeat process on every computer on your LAN.

Hope this helps.
Townie
Student
Student

Postby synologyincorporated » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks a million to all for time and effort especially you townie. You have a good day.
synologyincorporated
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jahlives » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:10 am

One thing about FQDN: This value is used to determine the hostname for this mailserver. This value is furthermore very important as this is used as the clients name during ELO command in SMTP dialog. Receiving mailservers normally check the the name provided in ELO is equal to the value received for a so called ReverseDNS request for your IP. If it's not you getting spampoints or even a direct reject while STMP dialog.
So the "easiest" to avoid this behaviour for me is to use the ReverseDNS name of my actual IP address as the FQDN for the system. That case ReverseDNS matches the value in ELO and you should epxerience less difficulties in sending mails from a dynamic IP address.
jahlives
Enlightened
Enlightened

Return to Mail Station