How to build package for PPC 8241

The discussion lounge for add-on Synology packages.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

How to build package for PPC 8241

Postby the-ninth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi,

I would like to build a package for models with the PPC 8241 model.

My first question would be what is the right architecture code (arch in the INFO file) for PPC 8241? It seems that Synology offers two different toolchains for this CPU, some models seem to have Linux 2.4 and some 2.6. So I am wondering if there are two different arch values to use?

Also the two toolchains seem to unpack into the same directory, so it seems you cannot install them in parallel. Do I really have to unpack the one into /usr/local, then run the compilation and then unpack the other to run the compilation again?

I'd appreciate any advise. :-)

Kind regards, Robert
DS413, DS408, SqueezeCenter with SB Classic & Boom

Photoblog: http://www.the-ninth.com
the-ninth
Experienced
Experienced

Re: How to build package for PPC 8241

Postby merty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:18 am

Check the "3rd party integration" doc. It states that the DS107e, DS107, DS108j uses a 2.4 kernel. All firmware mentions proc type in the name, but these are called "powerpc". Maybe that is the arch name. I found out the arch names (and updated the WIKI with it) by peeking into squeezecenter packages, where they are used the first time, however, there are no squeezecenter packages for those models, nor do I have one, so can't check. In some cases, packagescripts looks into /etc/synoinfo.conf, at the "unique" key. It looks like that key is made like "synology_archname_type" for instance, on my DS408: synology_ppc854x_408. So, the question what is that key on one of those powerpc models..
I really like it if Synology updates his document and explains all the things in the package file, instead us trying to decode it.
In the mean time, I would suggest "noarch", to prevent any nasty errors, in worst case, people download and install the wrong one, but the program will never start.

unpacking in different directories are possible, it is possible to configure it to have it on another directory. Can't tell you out of my head how I did this in the past, can't access my development linux server at the moment. Easiest thing to do is to get familiar with the optware trunk of NSLU2 project, there you are able to compile using different toolchains next to eachother.

Regards,

Remco
merty
Experienced
Experienced

Postby the-ninth » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi,

It seems that the value for the arch field in the INFO is "ppc824x". I updated this into the Wiki.

I put the two toolchains for Linux 2.4 and 2.6 into two different subdirectories below /usr/local and used the appropriate paths in the Makefile of the program that is to be compiled. This way the two toolchains can coexist without problem.

Regards, Robert

the-ninth
Experienced
Experienced

Postby the-ninth » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 am

Hi,

An update to this: "ppc824x" seems to work only on models with Linux 2.6. For models with a PPC 8241 CPU and Linux 2.4 the value for "arch" seems to be "powerpc". At least that works on a DS107e. Calling "uname -r" on a shell shows the Linux version.

I updated this information into the Wiki.

Regards, Robert

the-ninth
Experienced
Experienced

Return to Official Synology Packages