Samsung Smart TV File Streaming Compatibility

Discussion about the hardware (internal HDD/external HDD/USB printer) and software compatibility of Synology product.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Samsung Smart TV File Streaming Compatibility

Postby adam1986 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:37 am

Hi,

I currently have a Synology DS212J with DSM 4.0 that I'm planning on using as a media server to play movies and music etc on a TV. My original plan was to purchase a WDTV Live box to stream media from the diskstation, which from my research I gather can handle all of the common media file types (mkv, avi, mp4, flac, nothing too extraordinary).

However I'm thinking of buying the Samsung UE40D5520 Smart TV (DNLA approved), which has rave reviews and was wondering if the Samsung Smart TV firmware has any issues with streaming files from the Diskstation using DSM 4.0. Google results said there were some issues with playing MKV files from WD Mybook devices, but there are certain workarounds, so I assume that's a problem with the WD devices rather than the Samsung firmware.

Does anyone use a Synology DiskStation with a Samsung Smart TV (not necessarily the above model, since I assume the firmware is very similar between models) and can you tell me whether I'll have any issues trying to stream media directly from the DiskStation using the TV's inbuilt 'Smart TV' software?

Many Thanks
adam1986
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Samsung Smart TV File Streaming Compatibility

Postby rr1024 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:54 am

Hello Adam,

I have two Samsung Smart TV's, a DS508 and DS111 and I can stream video, audio from either with NO PROBLEMS at all. I totally LOVE IT

However, there is always the problem of wireless which SUCKS so I spent the time and money to wire my house with CAT6 and yes to each of the TV's and now regularly stream 1080p from the 508 to one tv and even the little DS111 streams 1080p 95% very nicely.

You do not have to do this but I recommend it if you have one of the smaller DS, down load a program called Handbrake and it will allow you to convert / merge multiple VOD files into one AVI or One mkv, (I think those are the correct extensions). This makes the transition easier on both disk stations.

If you have a busy network like I do
one computer per kid, plus 2 computers for the GF and my computer but gaming console for the son and 4 Droid Smart phones and Droid Tablet then when the disk station goes to read the next VOD file there can be some glitches and if the glitches occur in an action sequence then it can totally destroy the mood i.e. cool factor

YES I LOVE my little samsungs 6050, (I can't remember the model of the other one), and they work great with the Syno Disks :D :D
Last edited by rr1024 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DS508 5xWD5000AACS on DSM DSM 4.0-2257
DS1511+ 5xWD20EARS-00MVWB0 on DSM 4.3-3776
Gigibit Network Cisco
ASUS RT-N66U
WAP4410N
3xSD2008
rr1024
Versed
Versed

Postby duffykins » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:10 am

Hi Adam.

A little about my set-up. I have a DS212j with 2 x WD20EARX HDDs working across two 'sub-networks' that are linked.

The first 'media' network connects your TV's little brother, the UE32D5520, and my other TV, a Samsung LE46A756, to my DS212j via Belkin AV200 passthrough homeplugs, giving a notional true data rate of around 80 - 100Mbps.

My 'data' network for the PCs in the house is via cat5e cabled hardwired links via a TPLink gigabit switch. The gigabit switch is also cat5e cable connected to my wireless modem/router based 'media' network to provide internet access. The wireless access is only used for smartphones and for visitors, not for any devices in the house.

I have no trouble streaming from the DS to either TV. The video formats on the DS are .mkv, .mpg, .mp4 or Divx based .avi, but note that the LE46 (being an older TV) will not play .mkv files. I also have a Squeezebox Touch connected to the network so that I can play music stored on the DS to my 'old fashioned' (read Technics amplifier and attached speakers) stereo system.

As far as the UE32D5520 is concerned, all works perfectly.

HTH.
DS412+, 4 x Seagate ST2000DM001 in RAID 10 backed up to 4TB HDD in Akasa X31 Lokstor case.
Billion 7800DXL Modem/Router; TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Gigabit Switch; cat6
PCs running Win 7 Pro (mix of 32 and 64 bit)
Squeezebox Touch and various Samsung TVs via Powerline
Squeezebox Boom via wireless
duffykins
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby adam1986 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:19 am

Fantastic, thanks for the replies. I'm still waiting for payday, but hopefully next week all of my AV dreams will be fulfilled! In the meantime the new 2012 E-series of Samsung TVs has hit the shelves so hopefully the 2011 D-series ones (especially the budget end ones such as the D5520) should drop a little in price.

The little information I can find on the internet agrees with you guys that it should work, but I'm not exactly a technological wizz (especially so when it comes to networking) so I'm hoping it shouldn't hit too many problems.

Currently I've got the DS212j and Media Server app set up and streaming all sorts of files to my PS3 without any problems (inc. mkv files, which I was surprised about because I didn't think the PS3 would support that). And I totally agree with you about trying to use wireless; certainly my setup can't cope with SD video files, let alone 720p+. Wired connections are the way to go, but I'll deal with that hurdle when I get to it.

I'll post up my findings when I (fingers-crossed) get it working. :D
adam1986
Trainee
Trainee

Postby RichHaynes » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Adam,

I have the Samsung 6510 version with wireless built-in so that gives me an added edge to my set-up.

I have my DS212+ connected via CAT5 to my Linksys WRT54G (modded with DD-WRT) which then allows wireless access to the NAS device on my TV, laptop and PS3. Although make sure the Media Server package is installed!

Now everything seems to work great unless its an Apple device where their restrictions makes everything fall apart!

I can get full access to everything on my laptop via Windows File Sharing. My PS3 and TV can access all the files shared via Media Server. Thats not to mention all the other connections by family members in the houshold and over the net.

The only problem I have is that Samsung TVs are hit and miss with MKV files. My PS3 plays all flawlessly but my TV will only play a select few.

Hope the information helps.

Regards.
RichHaynes
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby adam1986 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the info, very helpful indeed. Just out of interest, have you upgraded your TV to the latest firmware? From what I've read, I think you have to download it from the Samsung website, transfer to a USB drive and plug this into the TV. I'm not sure if this helps with the MKV file compatibility, but apparently improves a lot things esp. with the SmartHub software.

My TV is on order, so shall post my findings soon!

Adam
adam1986
Trainee
Trainee

Postby drabisan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Common mkv are working properly.
Once mkv contains dual audio (stereo pcm and 5.1 for example) and/or multiple subtitles...there's go the joy. It works but there's no option to change the sound or subtitles.

One other disadvantage is you cannot play ISO files. I am not using actual DVD, rather make it ISO and use this copy.
There may be a delay from the moment you copy mkv on DS till it appears on Media Server list. Not too annoying but...

For normal use, none of these are actual problems. Though, I choose to use WDTV Live rather than TV.
drabisan
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby duffykins » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:20 pm

????
DS412+, 4 x Seagate ST2000DM001 in RAID 10 backed up to 4TB HDD in Akasa X31 Lokstor case.
Billion 7800DXL Modem/Router; TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Gigabit Switch; cat6
PCs running Win 7 Pro (mix of 32 and 64 bit)
Squeezebox Touch and various Samsung TVs via Powerline
Squeezebox Boom via wireless
duffykins
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby szvalter » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi,

I've got a ds 212j, and i bought a Samsung 6th series smart Tv.
Media server is runing
The samsung allshare (in smart menu) can't found the NAS.
In the Media server device menu i set up the Tamsung Tv

In Samsung site i found: allshare is not support network atached stroage.

Any idea how to play videos from the nas ?
szvalter
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bubblegum57 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:23 pm

I have a Samsung C650, pressing the media button on the remote, I can see Diskstation which is the Synology media server. I also have Serviio, which is seen as Serviio (diskstation)
bubblegum57
Novice
Novice

Postby szvalter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:05 pm

My remote control has no such button. :oops:
I think the older series support media server.
szvalter
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bubblegum57 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:03 pm

Looks like you don't have the same control.

With media select I can select usb or network devices.

How do you select usb?
bubblegum57
Novice
Novice

Postby szvalter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:49 pm

if i push source button:
TV
HDMI
Network PC
Network -Allshare PC
USB if plugged it
I can play media from usb if i choose USB in source menu or in allsahre app.

My smart menu (software up to date)

But other smart menu hes foto, video and music icon
szvalter
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bubblegum57 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Have you heard of Samygo?

http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/SamyGO_for_DUMMIES

There might be a way of modding the tv.
bubblegum57
Novice
Novice

Postby adam1986 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi,

After much delay from when I posted this topic, I eventually waited for the 2012 series of Samsung TVs and got a UE40ES5500 Smart TV. This is capable of accessing files from my DS212j (running DSM 4.0) and did so straight out of the box, no need to faff around with network settings etc; you should NOT need to look into third party firmware.

As posted above, you should be able to access the NAS via the 'AllShare Play' menu in the Smarthub, or more conveniently via the menu that comes up when pushing the 'Source' button. Since you can access files via on a USB device, it's clearly an issue with the NAS.

My first guess would be that Media Server isn't set up properly. My TV won't recognise any folders (even other Publicly Shared folders I have on the same NAS) other than the Music, Photo and Video ones created by the Media Server app. I think this is a limitation of the DLNA coding and so if you've messed around with those it might be worth reinstalling the app and getting it to recreate the folders and see if that solves the issue. Otherwise it may be a networking issue, perhaps check the router isn't blocking the ports required by both the TV and the NAS.

Good luck!
adam1986
Trainee
Trainee

Next

Return to Hardware & Software Compatibility