2x2TB Hard Drive Recommendation for RAID

Discussion about the hardware (internal HDD/external HDD/USB printer) and software compatibility of Synology product.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

2x2TB Hard Drive Recommendation for RAID

Postby sairam313 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:35 am

Hi,
Just bought my first NAS DS212j. Apologize for the newbie question if this has already been asked and answered. I am looking to set up RAID 1 configuration and looking for HD recommendations. From Amazon, the choices are

1. 2 x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARX
2. 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003
3. 1 of each 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green and 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green

Not sure if it is recommended to combine a 5900 rpm and 7200 rpm drives in this configuration. I am not looking at WD caviar black drives because of the cost. I know these internal hard drives fail a lot regardless of the brand but please give a sense of what most people have found reliable. BTW, is it possible to run on single HD and at a later time add another HD and configure RAID 1 for redundancy?

Any advice you can give is highly appreciated.

Thanks
SKR
sairam313
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: 2x2TB Hard Drive Recommendation for RAID

Postby mishu » Wed May 23, 2012 9:22 am

Option 1 is the best choice, first you have to buy identical drives (which should be in the supported list for your product) and second I am using for more than 2 years the same brand (but 1TB version) without any issue.
mishu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby stevech » Thu May 24, 2012 5:37 am

with my DS212, I elected to not use RAID1. I setup mine as two volumes. One drive has shares seen on the network. The other volume (drive) gets a daily backup of the main drive, and a daily time machine backup to be able to get any old file version. The backups are automatic.

My thinking is that I need protection from a human error (oops undelete that folder), or a corrupt file system, more than protection from a drive failure. With two volumes I'm protected from both. And either volume can be removed and read on a PC with a Windows driver, or under a linux boot on a PC - in case the NAS power supply or controller board fails.

Being the paranoid type, I also backup once a week to an external USB3 drive.
stevech
Experienced
Experienced

Postby kkj » Fri May 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Were you able to automate these backups using the facilities provided by DS212?

Can you please elaborate a bit.

Thanks,

stevech wrote:with my DS212, I elected to not use RAID1. I setup mine as two volumes. One drive has shares seen on the network. The other volume (drive) gets a daily backup of the main drive, and a daily time machine backup to be able to get any old file version. The backups are automatic.

My thinking is that I need protection from a human error (oops undelete that folder), or a corrupt file system, more than protection from a drive failure. With two volumes I'm protected from both. And either volume can be removed and read on a PC with a Windows driver, or under a linux boot on a PC - in case the NAS power supply or controller board fails.

Being the paranoid type, I also backup once a week to an external USB3 drive.
kkj
Trainee
Trainee

Postby stevech » Mon May 28, 2012 10:52 pm

yes, the DSM software can do a wide variety of backup strategies. Just about anything you can imagine.

The volume to volume backups run daily at my choice of time which is an hour before scheduled overnight power-down.

The backup to external USB3 is run when I request, as I don't keep the USB3 drive plugged in all the time.

The timed backup (time machine) runs automatically at my choice of time.
stevech
Experienced
Experienced

Postby kkj » Mon May 28, 2012 11:36 pm

thanks for your follow-up.

If you setup the hibernation setting for the connected USB disks, do you still feel the need to disconnect your USB disk drive from the unit?

Also, Do you know if the unit delay the scheduled power down if the backup job has not completed as yet?

stevech wrote:yes, the DSM software can do a wide variety of backup strategies. Just about anything you can imagine.

The volume to volume backups run daily at my choice of time which is an hour before scheduled overnight power-down.

The backup to external USB3 is run when I request, as I don't keep the USB3 drive plugged in all the time.

The timed backup (time machine) runs automatically at my choice of time.
kkj
Trainee
Trainee

Postby stevech » Tue May 29, 2012 3:05 am

The USB3 Seagate enclosure/drive that I have does not hibernate with DSM. It does, with Win 7.
But... I tend to move the external USB3 drive/enclosure to a different location out of respect for would-be burglars.
stevech
Experienced
Experienced

Return to Hardware & Software Compatibility