Media Server cannot see device

Questions regarding media streaming across varied protocols, including UPnP/DLNA/CIFS can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Media Server cannot see device

Postby kumquat_s » Sat May 18, 2013 11:19 am

I have just setup my DS212J as my media server. My TV however, cannot seem to see it, or rather the Synology cannot see the TV. I had a look at the device list and it seems as though my TV isn't listed as a visible device.

This is very strange as I can see it on my network connections. From looking at previous threads with similar issues it seems that DLNA doesn't work over bridges or such things. I am not 100% sure how the wiring works in our house (previous owners did it), but we have ethernet ports near the TV which link to ethernet ports in the meter cupboad (where the diskstation is). SImply cable it all up and it seems to work. Just not as a DLNA device.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
kumquat_s
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Media Server cannot see device

Postby kumquat_s » Sun May 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Just as an update to this.

I have now cabled my TV directly to my router. My NAS is cabled directly to the same router. Basically I am bypassing all the internal wiring done in the house.

Still no visible media server for the computer and it's MAC address again doesn't show on the device list. I also think that this is not just an issue for my TV. I also tried to set up DLNA through my set top box recorder. Again, it couldn't see the server.
kumquat_s
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby kumquat_s » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:11 pm

Just a little update to this. I noticed today that the Synology Media Server appeared on my Network Connections on my PC. This hadn't been there before so got my hopes up that something might have fixed itself.

However, neither my TV or Set-Top Box recognise the Media Server and neither device's MAC address is listed on the Device List on the Synology Media Server settings. Getting closer, but still ultimately nowhere.
kumquat_s
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby djlandkpl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:47 pm

With the TV on, reset the device list in the Media package. Then check your TV to see if it connects to your Diskstation.
djlandkpl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby kumquat_s » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Sorry for the very late reply. Have been trying some things in the meantime without any progress.

I have three devices (Blu-Ray player, Set-Top box and TV) that are UPNP/DLNA compatible. I have tried each device a few times and despite them clearly being visible on the Network they never appear on the device list.

I have fiddled around with privileges and have now even installed Plex to see if Media Server was the issue. All to no avail, all three devices still say they cannot locate a media server. Which I find bizarre as I can see the media server on my Network Connections.

Is there anything else I am missing here?
kumquat_s
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby djlandkpl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:11 pm

kumquat_s wrote:Sorry for the very late reply. Have been trying some things in the meantime without any progress.

I have three devices (Blu-Ray player, Set-Top box and TV) that are UPNP/DLNA compatible. I have tried each device a few times and despite them clearly being visible on the Network they never appear on the device list.

I have fiddled around with privileges and have now even installed Plex to see if Media Server was the issue. All to no avail, all three devices still say they cannot locate a media server. Which I find bizarre as I can see the media server on my Network Connections.

Is there anything else I am missing here?

Have you tried resetting the device list in the Media package with all 3 devices powered on?
djlandkpl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby kumquat_s » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Just to be clear, I can only connect each device one at a time (only one cable at the moment). But yet I have tried each device plugged in and on and reseting the device list.

If my NAS is password protected. Is there someway I should be making sure that the devices can bypass that password? I assumed that was done via priveleges but I just wanted to check.
kumquat_s
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby djlandkpl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:23 pm

My folders are password protected and my TV's can find the Diskstation. If you haven't done so, open a ticket with Synology.
djlandkpl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby marciemarc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:54 pm

I have struggled with Synology media server myself and found a solution that I decided to share on a forum, as forums have been helpful to me. Note that I have a DS 8 series but the issues are the same as for the 2 series. 1) My (panasonic) TV always took around 5 minutes to find the media server , 2) sometimes just couldnt find it at all and I had to stop all users and/or take power of modem/router and 3) sometime my TV stopped seeing the media server after I used another device elsewhere in the house to approach my DS. Clearly a pain in the b*.

The same applied to my Yamaha Receiver, it often couldnt find the media server.

Additional strange problem, I had an apple TV box connected but my apple machines couldnt find that airplay anymore and when they would (after a full reset) , then I couldnt find the media server anymore on my TV. To pull your hair out. It did make me think that it was a problem with DHCP, the assigning of temporary local IP addresses to all these machines/users. But.....my Synology firewall was already off (you dont need it when you work through a router from a provider with its own firewall) and also I had already given my Synology DS a Fixed IP address (this btw is important).

Then a friend of mine (IBM guy) mentioned that the Router provided by my all-in internet-TV-telephone provider is of soso quality especially where it comes to finess in the protocol software. He told me to reinsert my very good Netgear Router (a somewhat higer end model, Euro 150) between my modem/router from the Provider and my (wired) users. Its a good idea to wire from your router to your TV anyway if you watch HD movies. And....VOILA !! It all worked on the spot !! Bonus, my airplay also works fine now. So it can indeed be the quality of your router and its software that deals with all these users that want to approach each other and communicate with each other including communication like DLNA, airplay etc.!

My solution was very simple actually. Network cable from one of the outlets of my provider's modem/router to my netgear router (one of the 4 LAN ports), Synology network cable to one of the 4 LAN ports and my living room network cable to one of these 4 ports. Powered up and it was done (the netgear had already a configuration from when I used it few months before). Note that the Netgear router took over the router function so the users had to switch to that router and that password. Hope this helps some of you.
marciemarc
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby macjosch » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:37 am

The NAS is connected to the Internet by cable via:

Gigabit Switch - (cable) - WiFi capable AP(1st floor) - (cable) - WiFi capable Router 3rd floor - Internet

Various devices are connected by WiFi or cable to the Routers.

I've been having problems when an iPod is connected to the 3rd floor Router. 8Player does not discover the DLNA server.

I changed values for advertising minutes and hops in the Upnp setings of my Netgear DGN2200Bv3 Router to 10 each.

I keep an eye on the problem, but for a week or so, no problems so far.
Cheers,

Joachim

DS213j, DSM 5.0-4482, MacOSX 10.9.3
macjosch
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tceko1 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:40 am

I had this issue and I fixed it.

So I had set a static ip for not only my diskstation, but also for my tv. I left the static ip on the diskstation BUT I removed the static ip and set the tv back to dhcp. Once I did that, the tv and other devices started to work with the server.

hope this helps someone else.
tceko1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Media Server