Mediaserver Folders

Questions regarding media streaming across varied protocols, including UPnP/DLNA/CIFS can be placed here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Mediaserver Folders

Postby thorsten79 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi there,

I am using the DSM-Mediaserver for streaming movies to my TV.
Per default there are three folders visible in the tv music, photo and video.
Is there a way to prevent that the server transfers the photo and music folders to my tv. I did not find a way to delete them in the server config, is there any config file were I can do this by hand?
It is really annoying to have these useless (in my case) folders ...

thx,

Thorsten
thorsten79
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Mediaserver Folders

Postby mike42dk » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:21 am

Hi

The music and photo folders are created with enabling the PhotoStation and AudioStation or music services, so if these services is disabled the folder will disappear (if there are files inside the folders, then the folder will not disappear) so delete all files and disable the services and the folder should disappear.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS-412+
2 WD red 2 TB harddrive RAID 1
1 Seagate 2 TB harddrive Basic
mike42dk
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby thorsten79 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Maybe I did not made it clear.
I want to use the Mediaserver on my TV, but I want to be able to change the names of the folders. In particular I want to delete the music and photo folders, because I do not use them. If I delete them and start the server again I can still see them on my tv. So there has to be some special config-file (or maybe it is hardcoded) were I can chenge this behaviour. ??? I only want to see a video folder an my TV ...

Thanks
thorsten79
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby NAS_User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:51 am

I too would like to delete the DEFAULT FOLDERS that the media server creates when it is started. I would like to delete the /video and /photo folders as they do not correspond to any media that I will be storing and I would rather they not show up on my entertainment menu.
NAS_User
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ksaraf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:15 am

Me too.
I keep everything in a Media folder:
Media\Photos
Media\Audio
Media\Video

How can we prevent the default shares from being made?
ksaraf
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Leonmeijer » Wed May 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to Synology.

I've encountered the same problem here. Enabled media server and it automaticly created these annoying folders /music /video /photo.

How can I rename or delete these folders? I tried to disable the service, then delete the folders, created my own folders and added them to indexing services, after that started the media server and guess what they are back!!

Maybe it can be done through the terminal?
Leonmeijer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby HarryPotter » Wed May 16, 2012 12:36 pm

Leonmeijer wrote:How can I rename or delete these folders?

You cant and it is not recommended at all to remove them on the terminal as this are system folders. Your Ds may become unstable.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS713+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / 2 x HD204UI (RAID0) / LMS 7.7.3-032
DS712+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / 2 x HDS721010KLA330 (RAID0)
DS110+ / DSM 5.0-4458-1 / HD154UI
DS408 / DSM 4.0 2228 / 2 x ST31000340AS (RAID0) + 1 x HDS721010KLA330
DS207+ / DSM 3.1.1637 / ST31000340AS + WD5000KS

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom
Rapsody N35

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby myCloud » Wed May 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Don't delete them--just don't use them. I have nothing in /video, only the Audio Station playlists folder in /music, and only the photos I want to share (downsized) in /photo for PhotoStation.

In Control Panel -> Media Indexing Service, I have added:

Movies /shared/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Movies with video checked
TV Shows /shared/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/TV Shows with video checked
Music /shared/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music with music checked

PhotoStation is not really compliant with the DSM as are other packages. For example, it's not in Applications Portal or Applications Privileges, nor does it show up in Applications Privileges in the User control panel. It has its own user authentication with DSM users looking like it was hacked in as an afterthought. It also seems to ignore Media Indexing Service settings for photo searching. To use another location, I've had some success putting a symbolic link to that location in /photo.
DS 1512+ w/3GB, 5 x 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 8.2TB RAID 6, half files/half Time Machine.
Icy Dock MB559U3S-1SB enclosure w/4TB Hitachi UltraStar via USB 3 for files backup
UVERSE to AirPort Extreme + 2 AirPort Express w/speakers. TRENDnet TV-IP312WN camera
CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD Sine Wave UPS
DSM 4.1-2661 w/SSH + SFTP, VPN Server, Syslog Server, Media Server, Mail Server, Mail Station,
Audio Station, Surveillance Station, Photo Station, Web Station - DS Apps on iPad & iPod Touch.
myCloud
Skilled
Skilled

Postby Leonmeijer » Wed May 16, 2012 1:22 pm

It's really bad if I can't rename them. So if this is not possible I will return the product. I want my files ORDERED this time, and ordered the way I want it, not the way a DEVICE is forcing me to do it.

Isn't there really a way to get rid of them? Now I hide them using the "Hide from public" checkbox but they need to be removed.

Or maybe is there another media server package that doesn't force directories?
Leonmeijer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bmn001 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:10 pm

This is extremely irritating.

I'm in the same boat. I want to organize my files in the way that works best for my environment - not in the way that some software defaults want me to.

In order to do that, I have to sacrifice having DLNA running on my Synology? That's kind of silly.

Synology, if you're listening, please just remove the default directories from the Mediaserver setup - if anyone's using Mediaserver in the first place, they're smart enough to set up their own directories for that purpose.
bmn001
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Leonmeijer » Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 am

Exactly, software defaults are nice for users that don't know what they are doing.

Well, the folders can be removed by disabling the Media Server but in my case I want media server to run, but in the folder I specify.

Leon
Leonmeijer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jwshrive » Tue May 22, 2012 8:28 am

A silly question; but what exactly does Media Server do? As at present I have just mapped drive letters to my folders on the NAS from other computers anyway as I just use VLC player to play videos etc. I'm wondering if I even need Media Server enabled?
jwshrive
Beginner
Beginner

Postby myCloud » Tue May 22, 2012 11:24 am

If you have a computer (i.e. a Home Theater PC aka HTPC) connected to your TV as a monitor, you can certainly play media using VLC. Media Server supports DLNA compliant TVs, DVD/BluRay players, and other appliances that use media directly via uPnP.
DS 1512+ w/3GB, 5 x 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 8.2TB RAID 6, half files/half Time Machine.
Icy Dock MB559U3S-1SB enclosure w/4TB Hitachi UltraStar via USB 3 for files backup
UVERSE to AirPort Extreme + 2 AirPort Express w/speakers. TRENDnet TV-IP312WN camera
CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD Sine Wave UPS
DSM 4.1-2661 w/SSH + SFTP, VPN Server, Syslog Server, Media Server, Mail Server, Mail Station,
Audio Station, Surveillance Station, Photo Station, Web Station - DS Apps on iPad & iPod Touch.
myCloud
Skilled
Skilled

Postby jwshrive » Tue May 22, 2012 11:46 am

Ah I see. In that case I may not need it turned on. Thanks for the info.
jwshrive
Beginner
Beginner

Postby hajah » Sun May 27, 2012 10:42 am

Hi,

I have the same issue. I want to use my OWN folders, of my own choosing (name) and not some "silly", generic ones, imposed by the system.

Now I hide them using the "Hide from public" checkbox but they need to be removed.

Where have you seen this option, for those 3 default folders? Hiding them would be enough for me. I just don't want them showing up. They can stay there, if the package developer "needs" them (probably to sleep better at night?), as long as they're empty!

I really can't imagine a valid reason to have those 3 folders, since the app works perfectly well, with them empty. Also, if you take into account all the cultures/languages, where a synology is/can be used, it absolutely makes no sense to impose folder names!
Makes me wonder if this app is really from Synology (creators of the best NAS) or some third party...

Hope you guys fix this soon!

Hajah
hajah
I'm New!
I'm New!

Next

Return to Media Server