Shares are not visible for the network player via SAMBA (+)

Questions regarding media streaming across varied protocols, including UPnP/DLNA/CIFS can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Shares are not visible for the network player via SAMBA (+)

Postby PeterN » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Dear All,

I just bought the Synology 411j NAS instead of the old CH3SNAS (a clone of D-LINK 323).
I connect it to the home 1Gb network via Linksys WRT610n.
Everything works OK except the strange fact: I use the CFULLHDMAi HD network player, it could be connected to the NAS via DLNA and via SAMBA, but it can see shares from 411j ONLY if my home PC is connected to the network (Synology Assistant is installed there).
The network player does not see the shares via SAMBA if my PC is offline but DLNA folders (Volume1/music etc.) are visible.

I can see the shares on my PC and laptop without a problem.

Could you please help me to make the shared folders on the NAS accessible for the network player when my PC is offline?

PeterN
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Shares are not visible for the network player via SAMBA

Postby Taxman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 pm

Does the NAS have WORKGROUP set as network name in the control panel, if no this could be why as many network media players are hard coded to workgroup.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Re: Shares are not visible for the network player via SAMBA

Postby MaxZoom » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:02 am

Sorry to add to an old post but the answer is to "enable local master browser" this allows the Synology server to keep a table of network clients. he PC does this automatically. This drove me nuts for months because my DS-108J and even WORKGROUP would dissapear from my media players and then re-appear when someone turned on a PC :)
MaxZoom
Trainee
Trainee

Return to Media Server