Will a WD TV Live be able to play my videos from my DS209+II

Questions regarding media streaming across varied protocols, including UPnP/DLNA/CIFS can be placed here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Will a WD TV Live be able to play my videos from my DS209+II

Postby Christian_IA » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:37 am

Hi all.

If I connect a WD TV Live with a LAN cable to my NAS and a HDMI cable to my Sony 40W5500, will a WD TV Live be able to play my videos from my DS209+II ?
mvh Christian
Setup: Synology DS209+II NAS 2 x 1 TB, WD TV Live, all gigabit wired, Sony 40W5500
Christian_IA
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Will a WD TV Live be able to play my videos from my DS209+II

Postby Taxman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Yes the WDTV plays files from the Synology SMB network share and from DLNA media server. Make sure you update to latest firmware on the WDTV Live too, also enabling guest read/write access on network shares will make access easier but you can specify a password & enter it on WDTV Live if you need to.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Postby Christian_IA » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Taxman wrote:Yes the WDTV plays files from the Synology SMB network share and from DLNA media server. Make sure you update to latest firmware on the WDTV Live too, also enabling guest read/write access on network shares will make access easier but you can specify a password & enter it on WDTV Live if you need to.

Thank you very much.
Could a solution be to create a user ie. called "WDTV" giving it the correct rights for the folders ?
mvh Christian
Setup: Synology DS209+II NAS 2 x 1 TB, WD TV Live, all gigabit wired, Sony 40W5500
Christian_IA
Sharp
Sharp

Postby Taxman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Yeah you should be able to if you create an account specific for the WDTV Live it will ask for username/password and you can tell it to save the password or have to type it in every time.

Under network settings on the WDTv Live is an entry called "auto login to network share" that is where you tell it what username/password to use every time.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Postby Christian_IA » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:19 pm

Taxman wrote:Yeah you should be able to if you create an account specific for the WDTV Live it will ask for username/password and you can tell it to save the password or have to type it in every time.

Under network settings on the WDTv Live is an entry called "auto login to network share" that is where you tell it what username/password to use every time.

Thank you very very much.
Now I just have to find the bucks for the WD TV Live :-)
mvh Christian
Christian_IA
Sharp
Sharp

Postby molassen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Hej Christian

I have both WD TV live and DS209+II. It works like a charm BUT not 100%

When connecting DS as:
- Media Server (DLNA) -> WD TV Live cannot play ISO or show Avi SRT subs. Thumbs are showing perfectly.
- Share -> WD TV Live can play anything incl. ISO and show SRT subs BUT thumbs picture are showing together with the movie so you have to scroll pass the thumbs before getting to the movie.

I always connect as Share. By the way I use a D-Link DWA-140 Wireless N USB Stick and it works smooth and perfect.
Kind regards
Morten lassen, Denmark, http://blog.mola.dk
[DS-209+II|RAID1 @ 2x1.5TB WD15EADS|DSM 4.2 beta
[DS-213+|RAID1 @ 2x3TB WD30EFRX|DSM 5.0
molassen
Novice
Novice

Postby Taxman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:07 am

ISO's are disc image's not media files and dont work over UPnP (why the Synology media server indexes them I dont know).

Network thumbnails are an issue to do with the WDTV Live, I'm not sure if the latest Synology firmware helps address this but there are workarounds if you use the Thumbgen app for the WDTV Live.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Postby Christian_IA » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:31 am

Taxman wrote:ISO's are disc image's not media files and dont work over UPnP (why the Synology media server indexes them I dont know).

Network thumbnails are an issue to do with the WDTV Live, I'm not sure if the latest Synology firmware helps address this but there are workarounds if you use the Thumbgen app for the WDTV Live.

Does Thumbgen work with a NAS, so that the Thumbgen makes some database / collection of movie info on the NAS and the WD TV Live then displays that on the TV when browsing the network shares from the NAS ?
mvh Christian
Christian_IA
Sharp
Sharp

Postby Taxman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:21 am

Christian_IA wrote:
Taxman wrote:ISO's are disc image's not media files and dont work over UPnP (why the Synology media server indexes them I dont know).

Does Thumbgen work with a NAS, so that the Thumbgen makes some database / collection of movie info on the NAS and the WD TV Live then displays that on the TV when browsing the network shares from the NAS ?

In a limited fashion, I believe there is some NAS/network path fix in there but I have not tried it out myself. The program itself basically generates jpg images with coverart/metadata for movies which the WDTV Live displays.
Taxman
Guru
Guru

Postby Christian_IA » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 am

Taxman wrote:
Christian_IA wrote:

In a limited fashion, I believe there is some NAS/network path fix in there but I have not tried it out myself. The program itself basically generates jpg images with coverart/metadata for movies which the WDTV Live displays.

That sounds very nice, thank you very much.
That information just got me decided on buying the WD TV Live :-)
mvh Christian
Christian_IA
Sharp
Sharp

Postby Skar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:22 am

For the WD TV Live, I just create a account on the Synology called MEDIA, which has no password. However it's in a group which has only read access to your media folders. Just saves having to type a password in.
Skar
Novice
Novice

Postby Christian_IA » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:31 am

Skar wrote:For the WD TV Live, I just create a account on the Synology called MEDIA, which has no password. However it's in a group which has only read access to your media folders. Just saves having to type a password in.

Thank you for your input :-)
mvh Christian
Christian_IA
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Will a WD TV Live be able to play my videos from my DS20

Postby Ewoq » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Skar wrote:For the WD TV Live, I just create a account on the Synology called MEDIA, which has no password. However it's in a group which has only read access to your media folders. Just saves having to type a password in.

You only need to type in the password once.
Ewoq
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to Media Server