Windows Cannot access \\Diskstation

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Windows Cannot access \\Diskstation

Postby Heliskier59 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:32 pm

"Network Error" "Windows cannot access \\Diskstation" "Network path not found" now occurs when I try to access diskstation via my windows 7 laptop on wifi connection. This problem is recent and only occurs with one particular laptop on my LAN. I can access diskstation via web interface but not explorer. The other pcs on my LAN do not have this problem. I have tried rebooting the pc and when I open up windows explorer it "sees" the diskstation on the network but then gives me this network error when I try to access it. Any ideas as to what is going on??? Recently upgraded to DSM 4.1 on a Synology 410j
Thanks in advance!
Jan Matejka
Heliskier59
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Windows Cannot access \\Diskstation

Postby bbarnes » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Same problem here after upgrading to DSM 4.1
bbarnes
Trainee
Trainee

Postby begunfx » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Do you have your "explorer access" done by mapping your shared folders as drives? Try removing the mapping and re-adding it. See if that makes a difference.
DS412+/4.2-3202/4x2tb Hitachi (SHR/Raid5)
DS1812+/4.2-3202/8x4tb Hitachi (SHR2/Raid6)

APC:
Smart-UPS 1500/AP9630 UPS Network Management Card/RS BR1500LCD/BR1000G

Netgear:
GS724T-300 - ProSafe® 24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Readynas Pro Pioneer RNDP600E 6x2tb Hitachi (XRaid2/Raid6)
NV+/4x1tb WD (XRaid/Raid5)

Win7 64bit:
6 Core Intel i990x / 24gb Ram /GPU: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 /Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual NIC
Boot Drive: WD 2x1TB 10k RPM (Raid1)/Data Drive: Hitachi 4x2TB 7.2k RPM (Raid5)
begunfx
Experienced
Experienced

Postby bbarnes » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:47 am

Okay, I figured out the issue with DSM 4.1 and being able to access file shares (especially from Windows XP). Specifically, I could not get drives to map - either access denied or not found.

I noticed that that the "Edit Membership" button was grayed out for the "users" user group. Thinking that was odd, I tested by adding my user "userabc" to the Administrators group as well and then my batch script to map the network drives worked like a charm.

Something is still broken in DSM 4.1 because the users group has read/write permissions for that share and nothing changed from Friday except that I upgraded to DSM 4.1.

But for others struggling with access after upgrading to 4.1, give that a try.

[EDIT] I was wrong. :-( Still having the same problem.
bbarnes
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Watson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:28 am

Similar problem here since DSM 4.1 upgrade. Multiple Win 7 clients intermittently failing to map drives etc. If I use address bar to access folders they are visible, but map drives only work sometimes. Also losing access to data on drives that have been mapped! Never had problem with 4.0. Affecting whole company!
Watson
Student
Student

Postby begunfx » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:17 pm

That's bizarre, cause I've had zero connection problems with mapping drives from my DS to either my Windows 7 or Macbook Pro machines. Are you running windows 7 64bit or 32bit? Trying to see if there is anything we can narrow down. Are you guys connecting with NFS or CIFS on windows and are you using AFP or SMB on Mac? I'm not using NFS, just CIFS on windows.
DS412+/4.2-3202/4x2tb Hitachi (SHR/Raid5)
DS1812+/4.2-3202/8x4tb Hitachi (SHR2/Raid6)

APC:
Smart-UPS 1500/AP9630 UPS Network Management Card/RS BR1500LCD/BR1000G

Netgear:
GS724T-300 - ProSafe® 24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Readynas Pro Pioneer RNDP600E 6x2tb Hitachi (XRaid2/Raid6)
NV+/4x1tb WD (XRaid/Raid5)

Win7 64bit:
6 Core Intel i990x / 24gb Ram /GPU: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 /Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual NIC
Boot Drive: WD 2x1TB 10k RPM (Raid1)/Data Drive: Hitachi 4x2TB 7.2k RPM (Raid5)
begunfx
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Watson » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 am

Windows 7 64bit (Workgroup only) - Windows CIFS with recycle bin enabled for admins only
(I noticed the way the recycle bin was enabled etc. had changed since 4.1???).

Simalr problems reported in other threads since 4.1 upgrade also...

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=56247

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=56300
Watson
Student
Student

Postby Watson » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:51 am

Sorry, repeating this from other threads, but another observation...

Windows commands run from the CMD prompt are not allways able to detect the NAS until windows explorer has been used.

If I start computer, start CMD prompt, and issue the following command (example taken from our drive mapping script) it does not complete. (NOTE: this script never failed with DSM 4.0)

if exist \\XXXXXX\d\data-sp1\users\%USERNAME%\*.* net use h: \\XXXX\d\data-sp1 /persistent:no

I can repeat this command as many times as I like, and it does not complete drive mapping, but......

If I leave the CMD prompt running, and start a Windows Explorer window, go the address bar and type \\XXXXXX\d I can view the share and subfolders instantly.

If I return to the CMD prompt, re-use the "net use" command the drive is immediately mapped correctly.
Watson
Student
Student

Postby mstrass » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:04 am

Same situation in our environment, an application pops up, not being able to find the "application" data path.

To check if the path is available, Open WIN Explorer, browse to the data path (yes it is there AND availabe) return to the application and "cheers" the path is found.

It does not matter, which Windows OS on the client side is used. Have the same problem at at least 5 business sites with the same software!!!

The error does not exist with DSM 4.0!! Have a few sites running the same software, so Syno Developers PLEASE find a fast way to change this behavior!. IT IS CRITICAL!

Thanks in advance

MSTRASS
mstrass
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Jeremie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:24 am

This issue has been reported before and may sometimes be due to firewall settings, if after checking these the problem persists, please don't hesitate to contact our team for help.
For those who do, you can send a pm with your ticket# so we match you to this post.

Jeremie
Jeremie
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby mstrass » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:21 pm

@Jeremie

Sorry forgot to mention, we sure checked this before our post! However I ask you kindly to recognize, that with DSM 4.0 not a single problem of this kind occurred since the release of DSM 4.0 up to now having upgraded. We are also not talking about ONE SYSTEM, BUT the least 10 machines with 4.0 and now 4.1!! Mostly pro machines (1511, 1512, 2212 ...)

Since we do never configure any firewall settings, their possible settings are being ruled out!

A polite answering but a bit disturbed System Consultant sends best wishes, and hopefully fast solution for this misbehavior of the DSM 4.1!!

Regards MStrass
mstrass
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mstrass » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:46 am

adding to the thread!

It is sufficient in a multi user environment, to have the explorer path clicked by only one user! All other users then can start the given application without further problems.

Looks as if syno does some path converting into a readable format, as soon as somebody clicks the path in windows!

Any news yet?

MSTrass
mstrass
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby melbourne » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Check the CapItilizatioN of all your network paths... Different things will work differently if you have case problems.

Some of the problems described might be caused by any change in the way the server handles permissions of intermediate subfolders.

Some of the problems described could also be caused by the Windows Firewall (it is application aware, and can treat Windows Explorer differently than Net Use)
melbourne
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Heliskier59 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:46 pm

I now realize the problem is far more serious than I first realized. Most of my directories have vanished and it doesn't matter whether I use explorer, file manager or an ftp client. Interestingly my playstation and Windows Media Player can still see the very video files that I cannot find with other clients. It is the case with every machine I try to access diskstation from....I seriously doubt this is a windows firewall ....I can't access these files with android OS either which doesn't utilize the firewall. Something dramatic happened when I upgraded from 3.X and I AM NOT HAPPY...
Heliskier59
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Rancid » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Jeremie wrote:This issue has been reported before and may sometimes be due to firewall settings, if after checking these the problem persists, please don't hesitate to contact our team for help.
For those who do, you can send a pm with your ticket# so we match you to this post.

Jeremie

Nothing to do with firewall settings.
the only thing that changed was i updated from 4.0 to 4.1 and now specific shared folders keep dropping off the network.

Have logged a support ticket.

its obvious this is a major bug with 4.1 and needs resolving asap.
Rancid
Sharp
Sharp

Next

Return to Windows OS