In-use files not locked and strange twin ghost files appear!

Questions about file sharing through NFS/CIFS/AFP? Post it here!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

In-use files not locked and strange twin ghost files appear!

Postby d.rock » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi,

First post!

I run a small IT business and have installed around five DS710+ and one DS712+ units for different clients of mine, mostly small offices - never had any major issues, highly recommend the units.

A strange problem where an in-use file doesn't get locked properly has cropped up for a client recently, a small office with around 4 employees. 1 Mac machine and the rest Windows, the Mac machine accesses the NAS using Windows File Sharing (SMB) (Mac file sharing is turned off).

I will paste the relevant part of the email the user sent to me describing the issue:

"
We have noticed that occasionally it is letting more then one person into non read only versions of files.

This has started happening again around three months ago, however it doesn’t happen every time (we have tested)

However on the odd occasion it does.. I really have no idea why.

For example. I was in an excel spread sheet, I went to save it and an error came up that read "this document could not be saved" I then found out Mack was in the same document as he wanted to view the read only version. It however did not open in read only for either of us (I had it open long before Mack). We were both in the same file in non read only format. I looked in the folder and the file appeared twice. One kept the original name "2012 DIARY" and the other was named "10FBS000" generated by the computer I assume.

Im not sure if you remember but when you came in last time I mentioned that when I went in to folders on the server I kept finding these files with these random names but I didn’t know why…well I guess its because something is wrong with the read only settings.
"

Unit is a DS710+ running DSM 3.1-1748.

Any ideas? Everything I can thing of to check seems OK - file permissions on the server, Windows file permissions, etc.

Is it the NAS not reporting the file is in use, or is it Excel not correctly reporting that it has the file open? And where are the extra files with the odd names coming from?

If you need any more info please let me know. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
d.rock
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: In-use files not locked and strange twin ghost files app

Postby d.rock » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:23 am

No one come across similar issues in the past?

Any ideas that might relate to general file locking problems?
d.rock
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: In-use files not locked and strange twin ghost files app

Postby networkparamedics » Thu May 09, 2013 9:52 pm

I am having this exact same problem with a DS213. I have 6 MACs and 3 Windows PCs and if a MAC has a document open any of the Windows PCs can open the same document and edit it. But if the situation is reversed the MAC opens the document in read only mode. Has anyone else ran into this problem??
networkparamedics
I'm New!
I'm New!

Return to File Sharing: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux