WD TV Live NFS Network Set Up with Synology 1511+ NAS

Questions about file sharing through NFS/CIFS/AFP? Post it here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

WD TV Live NFS Network Set Up with Synology 1511+ NAS

Postby vidinoz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:49 am

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up my WD TV Live (Model WDBGXT0000NBK-AESN - the latest one with the Media Hub UI) with my 1511+ NAS. From various forums I'm reading that hooking my WD up to my network via NFS will provide a much greater through-put speed but I don't know how to do this.

So far I have enabled NFS within the Control Panel settings. I read somewhere I have to then apply a rule to the folder I have the videos (iso's) contained within... but after this I'm lost.

I don't have the video files stored within a media library folder and the media library function is not activated.

I've gotten as far as going to the Control Panel, Shared Folders and highlighting the Videos folder and then Create NFS Rule, but don't know what settings exactly I need to make and what they apply to.

Hostname or IP*: Revers to which device - the IP of the WD's?
Root Squash: Does what exactly?
Enable Asynchronous: Again, does what?

I actually have 2x WD TV Live units (One upstairs, one downstairs). Both have their own profile. Both currently have read/write access to the Videos folder. Both work fine through the Samba network access through the WD TV Live settings at the moment.

Any advice welcomed. Please advise if you require more information.
vidinoz
Novice
Novice

Re: WD TV Live NFS Network Set Up with Synology 1511+ NAS

Postby vidinoz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:00 am

I've managed to connect to the NFS share by setting up the following:

Hostname or IP*: 192.168.1.25 (The WD's IP address)
Root Squash: Admin
Enable Asynchronous: Ticked

But would still really like to know what these are:

Root Squash: Does what exactly?
Enable Asynchronous: Again, does what?

Anyone?
vidinoz
Novice
Novice

Re: WD TV Live NFS Network Set Up with Synology 1511+ NAS

Postby maxxfi » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:35 am

You can google for a description of "/etc/exports" file, e.g. here:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/server.html

In short:
IP address is the address of the device (i.e. the WD) that should be granted access
Root_squash is to... 'squash' access as root, i.e. can root@WD have full read/write access to
the NFS share? (as all root user accounts usually have). If you create a specific user on Synology to access NFS, I don't think you need that.
Asynchronous: as you can read from the document I linked, it may be worth to disable it in case you have a client that writes to the share, for safety reasons. WD Live at 99% is only reading so I think you can leave it enabled.
DS-411 (DSM 4.3-3827u5) w/ 2x WD20EFRX + 1x WD10EFRX
DS-106j (DSM 3.0-1357), PATA-to-SATA adapter, 2.5" HM250HI
maxxfi
Programmer
Programmer

Return to File Sharing: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux