can not map drive [merged thread]

Questions about file sharing through NFS/CIFS/AFP? Post it here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

help! can't map network drive?!

Postby liustephen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:59 am

hi there,

got synology (finally) installed and running.

i am able to access it through DSM (and with SA).

however.... now, i cannot map it as a network drive! what am i missing?

i running windows 7.
i can see it under "network places", but can't do anything with it. (can't browse, can't access, etc)
liustephen
Rookie
Rookie

can not map drive [merged thread]

Postby cullen.tsering » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:24 pm

Context:
Model: DS410j
Number of Hard drives: two 2T western digital HD's
Client OS: Win XP Pro SP3
Created a volume with the following configurations:
    Used:0.02%
    Available:99.98%
    Name Volume 1
    Type RAID 1 (with data protection)
    Status Normal
    Capacity 1.79 TB
    Used 295.49 MB
    Available 1.79 TB
    Disk Info DS410j Disk 1 (1.82 TB), Disk 2 (1.82 TB)

But when I try to map the drive from Window XP Pro where I'm running Syno. Assitant, I get the following error:
---------------------------
Error
The account or password is invalid. Please try again.
OK

Somebody mentioned in another topic that the in the local policy the microsoft client network digitially signing should be disabled to make it work but mine has been disabled from the start.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
cullen.tsering
I'm New!
I'm New!

Can't map my drive

Postby jay185 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:19 am

I'm trying to map the drive in my ds110j so that I can see the shared folder in My Computer.

I click on map drive in the Synology assistant it asks for a username and password. I've tried every username and password combination that I use at least 3 times. I just keep getting " The account or password is Invalid. Please try again.

I can click the connect, enter the password I created and I can get in to the diskstation manager. So I'm clueless as to why I can't get in to map my drive. Is there another setting I'm missing?

jay185
jay185
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Can't map my drive

Postby amdmenow » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:49 pm

same issues here as well.
amdmenow
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby raywood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Same here. Also in another thread: see viewtopic.php?f=111&t=28696.

Was there a recent software update that screwed this up? And could we please have a fix?
raywood
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby raywood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:27 pm

In case it helps, I just installed the Linux version of DSM 3.0 and am looking at the webpage that asks for an account and password. I installed using One-Click, and therefore didn't enter a password. But Administrator without a password doesn't work either.
raywood
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby raywood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:25 pm

OK, this is kind of wacky. DiskStation Manager for Linux 2.3 and 3.0 are web based. When I opened them up via Synology Assistant, I clicked too many times and opened two sessions (i.e., two tabs in Firefox). I tried to get into DiskStation 3 in one of those two sessions. I am waiting for a solution to the password problem there. Meanwhile, I just went to the other tab, and what do I see but a big "Welcome to DiskStation Manager 3.0!" It appears I was able to bypass the login screen by opening two sessions.

Meanwhile, RTFM, I have found the answer to the password question. You're supposed to log in as admin (not Administrator), with no password. Solved my problem.
raywood
I'm New!
I'm New!

Can't access shares in windows after dsm 3.0

Postby serandin » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:35 am

I just upgraded to the latest DSM 3.0 build and suddenly I am unable to connect to shares or map network drives in windows 7. Windows pops up the login box but entering the user name and password for my ds409 fails saying I might not have permission to use this network resource. FTP, audio station, and all the other apps work fine and the user accounts are all setup correctly so I'm not sure what exactly is going on.

I did notice that the login prompt that windows throws up has the line Domain:ELYSIUM (where ELYSIUM is the name of the pc) so I'm wondering if there could be some confusion there? It was never an issue before. The network is NOT on a domain, just a workgroup.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
serandin
Trainee
Trainee

Re: can not map drive [merged thread]

Postby serandin » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:26 am

Digging around some more it seems like this isn't an issue if I create new shared folders. But all of the previous folders from before dsm 3.0 are inaccessible.
serandin
Trainee
Trainee

unable to map network drive

Postby liustephen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:23 am

hi,

have 210j and running windows xp on a laptop.

i am unable to access the 210j as a network drive.

i go through the steps, tools -> map network drive -> dialog box.

i enter the info: "x://synology/________ "
and then the user name and password.

then, it fails - the pswd box keeps popping up.

i know that i am using the right name/password (it works on my other computer).
(?? - can i be logged in at the same time with the same account/pswd on two different computers??)

can someone point me in some trouble shooting directions? i'm not sure what i am doing wrong, nor where to start looking.

thank you in advance,
stephen
liustephen
Rookie
Rookie

Re: unable to map network drive

Postby strelock » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:42 am

use "x://192.168.1.1/________ ", a problem with access to the name after the latest firmware is not solved yet
strelock
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: unable to map network drive

Postby jmondejar » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:43 pm

hi,

I also have 210j and im using windows 7 64bit but i could seem to map "My Computer". Can anyone guide me how to do this?
jmondejar
Trainee
Trainee

Postby HJW » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:01 pm

Hello,

putting my Sonology DS1010+ to work was a piece of cake but getting the shares to function under all circumstances...

Starting with Vista, Microsoft has changed the way Windows identifies itself over the network. The new default way is said to be more secure. However, many non-Microsoft operating systems used on nas systems do not support that way of identification. In the manual of my older Conceptronic CH3SNAS two-bay nas there is this info:

----- Begin manual info -----
! Windows Vista Network Note !
The security policies which are being used by Windows Vista are not supported by the Samba software in the CH3SNAS.
Therefore, to use file shares/folders of the CH3SNAS, you need to change this the security policies of Windows Vista.
Changing the security settings.
1. Click "Start" -> "All Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "Run".
2. Type "secpol.msc" and click "OK".
3. Allow Windows to open the Security Policies window by clicking "Continue".
4. Click "Local Policies" and choose "Security options".
5. Right click on "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level" and select "Properties".
6. Change the value "Sent NTLMv2 response only" to "Send LM&NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated".
7. Click "Apply" and "OK" and close the Security Policies screen.
8. Reboot your computer.

You can now map a network drive to your computer with the steps below:
1. Right click on "Computer" and select "Map network drive...".
2. Select the drive letter you want to use (for example "Z:").
3. Type the folder which you want to map (for example "\\CH3SNAS\Volume_1").
4. Click "Different user name" and type the username "Guest" (or another username) and the password which is configured for the CH3SNAS share.
5. Click "OK" and Click "Finish".

Your CH3SNAS share is now mapped to a driveletter on your computer.
----- End of manual info -----

Note that not all Windows versions have that secpol.msc. However, using RegEdit for group 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa' and giving key 'LmCompatibilityLevel’ value ‘1’ should also get you there.

I have succeeded defining shares after the above mentioned change on a few systems whereas other Vista/Windows 7 systems did still not succeed in accessing the shares. So it looks to me that this is not a final solution for the problem.

Under certain circumstances, I cannot use shares on my Synology DS1010+ too like you all, neither from XP nor Vista nor Windows 7. As reported by others I also get the user/password error continuously.
Does someone have additional info to try?

Rgards,
Henk Wissink.
HJW
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jmondejar » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:23 am

tried this on my windows 7 64bit and it doesnt work. It works on my XP machine though
jmondejar
Trainee
Trainee

Postby SteenHess » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi
:D I finally got this to work on my XP installation

Supplementary troubleshooting info
I was unable to create or attach to home network from my XP machine. Windows would say yes success every time i tried but in actuality it was not ok. The XP could not see anything on home network , not even itself!!

I tried searching for any services or software that could be causing conflict. Found a driver for a wireless network USB, but removing it did not fix NAS problem.
I tried deleting and reinstalling network card from hardware device menus.

:!: I ensured that all machines including NAS used same logical name for home network namely "WORKGROUP".

The problems with home network might not be related, but they seemed very relevant and consitent with NAS server access problems.

:wink: My FIX: I gave up looking for quick fix and reinstalled XP from scratch and this worked.

Note that Installing newest version of DSM (3) on NAS server before the big XP-format gave nice access to web based filebrowser interface that allowed me to transfer files from old XP installation to NAS server.
SteenHess
I'm New!
I'm New!

Next

Return to File Sharing: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux