Very Slow Speeds

Post your questions about using our Download Station here.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

Postby JosefSyn » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:26 pm

Well, strange things sometimes happen. I had to forward only the TCP ports range in the router.
When forwarde TCP+UDP or only UDP, then the speeds were very low, rather 0,0 kB/s.
Now I run fast with lots of seeds.
JosefSyn
Novice
Novice

Postby tvwong » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:16 pm

Im using ASUS RX3041 router and Download Redirector with DS-106j. I ve read through all the forum and tried almost all the settings in the router but no avail.
The download speed is still like 0.00kB/s. Please help.
tvwong
I'm New!
I'm New!

Port mappings

Postby Martin » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:34 pm

Franklin wrote:For bit torrent users, ports 6881-6890 is the default range, those ports must be forwarded to the Synology Server.
Please refer to the FAQ about network ports and port fowarding
What Network Ports Synology Products Use?
What is port forwarding?

Hi Franklin,

I'm a bit confused. The FAQ say's that you have to use ports 6890 ~ 6999 for the Download Station (TCP/UDP)
(The FAQ doesn't mention BitTorrent, only Download Station)
So which ports do we have to use?

Greetings Martin.
Martin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Franklin » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:28 pm

Martin-

Sorry for the confusion, it should say BitTorrent Range. The FAQ will be updated to reflect that.
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby akamini » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:46 pm

I think the confusion is the default range in the diskstation interface is 6881-6890 but in the FAQ it says 6890-6899. Which is the correct range to use?
akamini
Trainee
Trainee

Postby JosefSyn » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:27 am

I think that the 6881-6890 range is correct. Download Station can handle up to 10 simultaneous downloads. So one port to one download.
JosefSyn
Novice
Novice

Postby akamini » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:35 pm

Thanks, i just forwarded 6881-6890 on the router to the diskstation and my BT speeds have gone up at least x5 :)
akamini
Trainee
Trainee

Postby tvwong » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:00 pm

How come I have tried forward the port but still slow speed? :( :( :(
Why cant it behave like Bitcomet where I dont have to set so many stuff?
tvwong
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Franklin » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:21 am

Please be advised of the following..

Synology Engineer wrote:Therefore, port 6890~6999 should be used on models with firmware earlier than v.401; while port 6881~6890 will be used on firmware v.401 and onward.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby um20 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:35 am

Hi guys, newbie here and I thought I'd throw my two-cents in as well:

I have tried forwarding both port ranges (individually and combined) and have tried TCP/UDP/BOTH as well, but my speeds are still below 10KB/s for torrents. Standard ftp/http downloads are fine, and the torrent d/l rates seem capped regardless of whether I have 5 seeds or 55 (trust me, I've had both and plenty inbetween).

Any ideas other than the ones I've tried? If it matters, I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS.

When I checked my incoming log I found a LOT of IP addresses looking for port 50052, which is the old Azureus port number I used for my PC before I uninstalled it to use DR instead.

Is it possible that torrents are trying to come to the wrong port because of something underlying in XP? I know that's probably just bullplop, but I don't know enough about how torrents work. Is it possible the torrent site I used knows that I have torrents sent to 50052? Some IPs are coming to 6890, but I have 140 seeds in the torrents I am currently d/ling and there are a lot of IPs looking for 50052.
um20
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Franklin » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:38 am

um20 wrote:Some IPs are coming to 6890, but I have 140 seeds in the torrents I am currently d/ling and there are a lot of IPs looking for 50052.

From the information you've stated, I would try to forward port 50052 to the Synology server's 6xxx port to see if that results in a performance boost.
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby tommypeters » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:22 pm

um20 wrote:Is it possible that torrents are trying to come to the wrong port because of something underlying in XP? I know that's probably just bullplop, but I don't know enough about how torrents work. Is it possible the torrent site I used knows that I have torrents sent to 50052? Some IPs are coming to 6890, but I have 140 seeds in the torrents I am currently d/ling and there are a lot of IPs looking for 50052.

I think "their" clients are locally saving information about other clients IP/ports for faster reconnect if they lose network connection - and possibly to be able to bypass tracker ratio checks...
tommypeters
Experienced
Experienced

Postby HanzThePanz » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:05 pm

It's still not possible to seed a torrent after the download finishes. So sooner or later the 'torrent-provider' will cut down the speed for you to download because you never share at least 1:1. This issue is mentioned several times on this forum. The firmware that solves this issue will be very welcome!
Synology Diskstation DS-106 | DSM 2.0 - 0722
Western Digital 10EACS 1 TB | Seagate Barracuda ST3500641AS 500 GB | LaCie Porsche USB 500 GB | 2x LaCie Porsche USB 250 GB | HP DeskJet 5652
HanzThePanz
Rookie
Rookie

New Torrent Program?

Postby kungfujonny » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:40 am

I just wanted to first say thanks for everyone who made the suggestions for port forwarding, they helped me greatly for speed performance on both torrents and http downloads.

I have a totally different question, has anyone ever tried installing a PHP and MYSQL based torrent program to run on the Synology Station?

I have found these three have have yet to try out:
http:// sourceforge. net /projects/torrentflux/
http:// sourceforge. net/projects/torrentvolve/
http:// sourceforge. net/projects/torrenttracker/

I don't know first hand if any of these programs can allow you to seed, but this has gotten me curious on performance/customization.
kungfujonny
I'm New!
I'm New!

0.00 KB/s speed

Postby begica » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:36 pm

Hi all,
I just bought a 107e and was trying to get the Download station to work. I have set up the port forwarding on my SMC7908VoWBRB to the default port range but can't get anything but 0,00 KB/s.
Did many experiments after that with other ports number with the same result.
I get speed up to 100kB/s with Azureus.

I'll be very glad if anyone can help me with it.

Thank you
begica
I'm New!
I'm New!

PreviousNext

Return to Download Station